Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Allegro "Layer Priority"

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Allegro "Layer Priority" 

Last post Thu, Nov 14 2013 8:00 AM by steve. 4 replies.
Started by Lock2002 23 Sep 2013 12:09 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 2367 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Sep 23 2013 12:09 PM

• Lock2002
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 25 2008
    • Posts 23
    • Points 500
    Allegro "Layer Priority" Reply

Is there some trick to getting "layer priority" to work everytime? It works on one design but then it doesn't work on the next. It's pretty straightforward; add the layer that you want displayed on top to the "prioritized layers" window and apply. For some reason it's not working all the time. Anyone else get this?

• Post Points: 20
  • Sat, Nov 9 2013 12:18 PM

• AnthonyK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80
    Re: Allegro "Layer Priority" Reply

I'm running 16.6 P004 and have exactly the same problem.

One design will work and another won't.  Can't see a common factor that might be the problem.

When it doesn't work,  the display order does not follow the preferences set up in "layer-priority" when printing.  I've disabled custom colrs in the color dialog (I have color overrides on some nets) and I've set the active subclass to one that is not displayed (following clues in the help file).

Anyone care to step up to the plate on this one?

• Mon, Nov 11 2013 1:46 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 20,200

You are running the base release (which I would say isn't ideal), get the latest hotfix from Cadence / Channel Partner but the issue is normally it because the tool uses the Active Class/subclass first then the Layer Priority so change your Active Class / Subclass to something you are not using and see if that helps. The active class / subclass is listed in the Options menu (if you ahve no active command or is on the bottom of the screen in the middle next to the cor-ordinates. See if that helps.

• Thu, Nov 14 2013 4:23 AM

• AnthonyK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

Thanks Steve.  The help file notes this also.  As it happens when I revisited my design the plot layer priority was working but I'm not sure if I was doing anything different.  Probably finger trouble at my end as I'm sure more people would be complaining if such a basic function was truly broken.

On the subject of "the latest hotfix" I stayed in maintenance on 16.5 for a year and Cadence were issuing monthly bug fixes.  I know the products are complex but monthly bug fixes?  Maybe they should do more in-house software testing before a major release rather than rely on the users to find the bugs.  Just a thought...

• Thu, Nov 14 2013 8:00 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 20,200

They are more than bug fixtures. They now include new and improved funcitonality (like 3D STEP file support) so it's more than worth updating.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Lock2002 at 23 Sep 2013 12:09 PM. Topic has 4 replies.