Home > Community > Forums > Mixed-Signal Design > How to setup Cadence ADE to simulate basic digital blocks successfully

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to setup Cadence ADE to simulate basic digital blocks successfully 

Last post Thu, Mar 27 2014 3:54 AM by marten. 8 replies.
Started by bhl3302 19 Aug 2013 12:42 PM. Topic has 8 replies and 5535 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Aug 19 2013 12:42 PM

• bhl3302
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 25 2013
    • Posts 13
    • Points 230
    How to setup Cadence ADE to simulate basic digital blocks successfully Reply

Hi, I am using Virtuoso IC6.1.5 with IBM BiCMOS8HP technology. It runs well in ADE for analog design. But when I imported digital library of this technology,draw a basic circuit schematic with AND block, and include .scs file and verilog file for this AND block, the simulation was not successful. The error message showed here is

-------------

*INFO* (icLic-25) License Analog_Design_Environment_XL ("95210") was used to run ADE L.

Loading analog.cxt

Loading asimenv.cxt

Loading spectrei.cxt

Loading relXpert.cxt

Loading par.cxt

Loading socket.cxt

Loading alvs.cxt

t

sevLoadState('sevSession1)

>

hiiSetCurrentForm('sevLoadForm1)

t

hiFormDone(sevLoadForm1)

Loading devCheck.cxt

t

t

sevNetlistAndRun('sevSession1)

Delete psf data in /ece/grad/yhuang85/simulation/4_130818/spectre/schematic/psf.

generate netlist...

Loading spectreinl.cxt

Loading seCore.cxt

Begin Incremental Netlisting Aug 18 21:50:35 2013

WARNING (OSSHNL-145): Incremental netlisting is not possible since the netlist in this run directory

was generated using a previous IHNL version which is incompatible with the

current IHNL version. Therefore re-netlisting the entire design using the

current IHNL version.

ERROR (OSSHNL-116): Unable to descend into any of the views defined in the view list, 'spectre cmos_sch cmos.sch schematic veriloga', for the

instance 'AND2_I0' in cell '4_130818'. Either add one of these views to the library 'digital_library',

cell 'AND2_I' or modify the view list to contain an existing view.

End netlisting Aug 18 21:50:35 2013

ERROR (OSSHNL-514): Netlisting failed due to errors reported before. Netlist may be corrupt or may not be produced at all. Fix reported errors and netlist again.

...unsuccessful.

-------------- 

Could anyone teach me if there is any mistake I make in ADE setup in order to run this circuit? Thank you very much! 

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Aug 27 2013 9:50 PM

Re: How to setup Cadence ADE to simulate basic digital blocks successfully Reply

If your digital library only has verilog descriptions, you won't be able to simulate it with spectre; spectre is an analog circuit simulator and like other SPICE-like simulators, doesn't handle logic level verilog descriptions.

For that you'd need to use "AMS Designer" (ams as the simulator in ADE). I suggest you start with the AMS Designer Tutorial in the documentation.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Mar 26 2014 9:28 AM

• marten
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 8 2013
    • Bielefeld, Nrth Rhine Westfalia
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395
    Re: How to setup Cadence ADE to simulate basic digital blocks successfully Reply

Hi there,

what files are needed to run Spectre on digitial elements (like NAND, NOR,.. ) ? We have a PDK installed but I am not sure if the necessary files for analog sim of the digital elements are included. Could you give me a kick in the right direction ?

Best regards,

Marten

• Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:10 AM

Does the library of digital elements have schematics?

Andrew.

• Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:13 AM

• marten
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

Hi,

yes there are schematics available for nearly every element. Also I found a bunch of *.scs-files within the PDK.

Marten

• Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:24 AM

You're probably good to go then. You might want to check with the provider though - they ought to document what they support...

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:40 AM

• marten
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

Thanks for the quick reply!

Maybe you can give a short overview how to load these files into ADE ?

Regards,

Marten

• Wed, Mar 26 2014 11:48 AM

If you have schematics, then I wouldn't have thought you need the .scs files if they are describing the same cells.

As I said, you should ask the provider precisely what you are supposed to do as this can vary from supplier to supplier. I can't really guess without seeing what information you have.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Mar 27 2014 3:54 AM

• marten
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

Okay I will do so.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Marten

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by bhl3302 at 19 Aug 2013 12:42 PM. Topic has 8 replies.