Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Opening just the .grf graph files

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Opening just the .grf graph files 

Last post Fri, Mar 29 2013 12:37 AM by Kabal. 2 replies.
Started by Kabal 28 Mar 2013 09:55 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 801 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:55 AM

• Kabal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 29 2011
    • NM, NM
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,530
    Opening just the .grf graph files Reply

When I run some simulation in ADE GXL, my whole results are saved, next time I can reload my previous simulation results, and plot anything the way I want.

Also, sometimes when I did some specific plot, i save it from the plot window as .grf file.

Question: what is the easiest way to open that .grf file?

For example, most of the time I have to launch plot window from calculator, from some another opened simulation cell, and then choose "Load window" to load .grf file. Sometimes it works, but sometimes its yelling about some mismatched variables and stuff like that

"expression evaluation is failed: val is not legal"

what I dont understand is, why would it care about expression evaluation, since I just saved the .grf file, and I dont care about opening the simulation data, all i did is launched plot window, and from that plot window I want to load *any* .grf file created in any cell, no matter what variables or parameters were used. 

i.e. .grf once saved should be independent from all that, and should be loaded into Graph window with "File->Load window" command without problem? How can I do that? 

(because if I saved some specifically made up graph, and simulation is huge, i dont want to wait until everything loads up to get just one graph which I already saved as .grf)

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Mar 28 2013 11:35 AM

Re: Opening just the .grf graph files Reply

Maybe you've misunderstood what the grf files is for. It tells it what was plotted (i.e. which signals, which BLOCKED EXPRESSION, and how it was plotted (strips, colours, etc), as well as markers and so on. It does not contain the actual points in the waveform.

So when you open it for a different result set, it is trying to find those signals, reconstruct waveforms from expressions and so on. So clearly it may have problems if the signals don't exist in the new result data set.

Does that clarify things?

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Mar 29 2013 12:37 AM

• Kabal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 29 2011
    • NM, NM
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,530
    Re: Opening just the .grf graph files Reply

yes it does, thanks.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Kabal at 28 Mar 2013 09:55 AM. Topic has 2 replies.