Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > how max_sink_trans value is going to affect the timing of my design

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

how max_sink_trans value is going to affect the timing of my design 

Last post Fri, Mar 29 2013 9:07 AM by Kari. 3 replies.
Started by gops 27 Mar 2013 07:16 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 908 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:16 PM

• gops
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 24 2008
    • Trivandrum, Kerala
    • Posts 118
    • Points 2,505
    how max_sink_trans value is going to affect the timing of my design Reply

Max_Sink_trans value specifies the clock slew, can some one please let me understand how it is going to affect the timing of my design? Please let me know if it has to be less than the max_transiton_delay in liberty file? or the max_transiton_delay is for the Dpins of the flip flops and max_sink_trans is not dependent on the transtion delay for which the library is characterized.thanks

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:21 AM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 719
    • Points 14,585
    Re: how max_sink_trans value is going to affect the timing of my design Reply
    The max_tran in the library is usually a looser number than what we set design targets for, but will accept at signoff. For example, if the .lib has a max tran of 1ns, we might want to set the design max tran for 700ps (in the SDC file). But as we near tapeout, we might allow transitions between 700ps and 1ns. As for the clock transitions, those are usually tighter still, so in this basic example, we might set the clock transition to 500ps. Again, if you have a few sinks that don't quite make that transition, as long as it's within the library limit, you should be ok. I hope I've understood your question correctly!
  • Fri, Mar 29 2013 9:01 AM

• gops
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 24 2008
    • Trivandrum, Kerala
    • Posts 118
    • Points 2,505

HI Kari,

thank you very much for the reply.Can you clarify the following queries pls.

1) in the library there is a default_max_trans value .is this applicable for both "D" pin and "clk" pin of the flip flop in the library? or just for "D" pin.

2) Can you pls elaborate on how the max_sink_trans value is going to affect delays of the flip flops?

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 9:07 AM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 719
    • Points 14,585

i believe the default_max_transition will cover any pin that doesn't have a tighter constraint.

for your second question, i'm not a timing expert, but you can look in the .lib tables and see how a transition in the range of what you specify to CTS would affect the delay vs. the max transistion. i'm not sure if i understand your question though. 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by gops at 27 Mar 2013 07:16 PM. Topic has 3 replies.