Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > import a GDS file into virtuoso

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

import a GDS file into virtuoso 

Last post Tue, Feb 18 2014 4:04 PM by Andrew Beckett. 19 replies.
Started by Graphene1 27 Mar 2013 11:37 AM. Topic has 19 replies and 5067 views
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Apr 4 2013 8:50 AM

Re: import a GDS file into virtuoso problem with lvs Reply

Here's what I've done:

I created a counter in schematic virtuoso, after that I created its symbol.

Whith ENCOUNTER i generated its layout, I routed it but I clould not do Timing delay I don't know why?

After I saved in gds file: Map File=> streamOut.map; Library Name=> DesigneLib; I checked "Uniquify Cell Names" and "White abstract information for LEF Macros"

To import it: file- import- stream  then I just checked "Generate Technology Information From Stream File" then apply 

Then here I have not any error or warning !

The problem then, is the fact that the layout isn't imported correctly since the metal1 and all the connections made of metal1 aren't displayed (or not imported). 

In addition to that, while running the lvs, I obtain a lot of warnings informing me that all my transistors aren't recognized.

I don't know if I need to detail more ? that's exactly all what I did ! Can you please have any explanation. 

Thanks for your patience! 

• Post Points: 5
  • Sun, Feb 16 2014 2:45 AM

• Meghz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 1 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    Re: import a GDS file into virtuoso Reply

I too am trying to stream in a gds file into virtuoso. I followed the steps said above. 

The technology file is being generated. But it is not appearing in the drop down menu for attachTechnologyLibrary field.

So I manually typed in the relative path to that file and tried streaming in. But there was an error saying the tech file name myDesign.tf does not exist in the UnixNameSpace. 

Can somebody please suggest a solution to the problem? 

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Feb 17 2014 6:05 AM

Which version of the tools are you using?

If you have one, I'd say you'd be better off starting by importing the GDS into a library attached to an existing technology library for the technology in question. Of course, if you don't have that or an ASCII technology file, doing a stream in and generating the technology info may be your only choice.

Andrew.

• Tue, Feb 18 2014 2:00 AM

• Meghz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 1 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I tried importing the gdsii into a library attached to anexisting technology library and it worked !

Thank you!

I have the netlist and gdsii of a DB. Is there any way by which I can map the instance names in the netlist to the gdsii file so that when I import the gds into virutoso and write out a DEF,it will contain the same instance names as that in the netlist.

Now when I write out the DEF it conatins default instance names like I__0,I__1 etc .

• Tue, Feb 18 2014 4:04 PM

Taking a stream file (aka GDSII) and importing it and then being able to export DEF is far from trivial. You might be able to do it if you can get Virtuoso Layout Suite XL to recognize the layout devices and match against a source schematic - there's some new options in IC616 VLS XL which will help with that (Update Binding) - but even then I think it's quite a tough challenge.

Why do you want to do this? Stream format has no connectivity information, so it's not really the best format if you want to represent logical connectivity...

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts:
Started by Graphene1 at 27 Mar 2013 11:37 AM. Topic has 19 replies.