Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > How do I change a signal name that doesn't have a wire

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How do I change a signal name that doesn't have a wire 

Last post Mon, Apr 15 2013 3:21 AM by Andrew Beckett. 7 replies.
Started by izucker 27 Mar 2013 02:03 AM. Topic has 7 replies and 1050 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Mar 27 2013 2:03 AM

• izucker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 3 2009
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280
    How do I change a signal name that doesn't have a wire Reply

Hi,

I have a "noConn" (from basic lib) connected directly to an Instance terminal.

There is no wire in between the two objects, meaning that it won't take a "label" for changing the net name.

How can I rename that (internal) signal name in this case? 

Thanks,

Itay

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Apr 1 2013 1:18 AM

Re: How do I change a signal name that doesn't have a wire Reply

Hi Itay,

You can't, as far as I know. I think you simply have to drag the noConn a little so that you have a short wire between them, and then you can add a label.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:07 AM

• izucker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

Hi Andrew,

I think this is the first time that I hear from you that something is impossible... ;-)

Well, don't you think there should be a way? still, you have a net in your design that you just can't change its name, this isn't seem logical.

Idea for enhancement?

Thanks,

Itay 

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:00 AM

Hi Itay,

There's always a first time!

The challenge is, how would you attach a label to the thing that needs to be named when there is nothing physical to attach to? Possibly you could attach the label to the noConn component, but this would be a bit of a special case. What about the situation where you have two series connected resistors which have overlapping pins - how would you name the net then? You can't attach a label to an instance, because it wouldn't know which pin you wanted it to belong to.

To some extent, there have to be some semantics associated with how the physical drawing is converted into logical connectivity, and so some rules/limitations apply.

So if you can think of a good/usable way of naming the net, I can propose it - I just can't think of a way it would be done...

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 4:12 AM

• izucker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

Hi Andrew,

How about changing the name with some Skill code directly on the internal data structure?

I couldn't find a way here either...

Itay

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 4:47 AM

Hi Itay,

You can do that, but it will get lost as soon as you do a "check" on the schematic again, so it's probably of limited value. That said, we have had some thoughts on having the connectivity being more persistent (only an idea, so I don't want to give details here).

Andrew.

• Sun, Apr 14 2013 5:07 AM

• izucker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 17
    • Points 280

Hi Andrew,

How would you change the net name in this case with Skill? I couldn't realize how to do that.

And if the net name was changed and its not the default "net*" anymore, why would the "check" operation will "touch" and change it?

Thanks,

Itay

• Mon, Apr 15 2013 3:21 AM

Itay,

Assuming the net on the "noConn" net was called "net5", this will do it:

cv=geGetEditCellView()
    old=dbFindNetByName(cv "net5")
    new=dbMakeNet(cv "myNet")
    dbMergeNet(new old)
    dbSetConnCurrent(cv)
    dbSave(cv)

However, as soon as you do a "check", it will get reset. This is because the physical interconnect drives the connectivity, not the other way around - and any net not set by the schematic checker will get recreated. This is to help ensure that inconsistencies don't appear when connectivity is changed in the schematic - you could have ended up with two things which are still connected to the same net despite there being no physical connection any more (because the wire was deleted), and it would have to somehow know the intent of the user.

Of course, it's conceivable that we could have it that the connectivity in the database is more persistent, but right now it doesn't work that way.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by izucker at 27 Mar 2013 02:03 AM. Topic has 7 replies.