Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Change Connect Pin to Mechanical

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Change Connect Pin to Mechanical 

Last post Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:24 PM by arehnman. 9 replies.
Started by archive 05 May 2008 12:55 PM. Topic has 9 replies and 9428 views
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, May 5 2008 12:55 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Change Connect Pin to Mechanical Reply

Other than deleting a Connect pin and inserting a Mechanical pin in it's place, is there a method of changing a Connect pin to Mechanical ?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by dschaefer
    • Post Points: 0
  • Mon, May 5 2008 1:21 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Change Connect Pin to Mechanical Reply

Just change your find filter so Text is checked, delete the pin number text and you are good to go. Of course this can only be done inside of the Allegro symbol (.dra) and not the layout (.brd).

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone
    UTStarcom, Inc.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
  • Tue, May 6 2008 10:46 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hey there,
    What about the other way around? Changing a mechanical pin to a connect pin?

Jackie

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Jackie
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, May 7 2008 3:02 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

It's better to replace the mechanical pin to a connect pin inside symble (.dra) using "Add pin" option.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by shiva
  • Wed, May 7 2008 8:10 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Jackie,

There is a way to convert a mechanical pin to a connect pin but it should only be used when you have multiple(many) pins to convert and it would take too long to replace them manually using "Add Pin".

All you need to do is to create a sub-drawing (File > Export > Sub-Drawing) of just the pins using x 0 0 as your origin point then manually update the sub-drawing file (.clp) file by globally replacing the following string: (add 99 as your pin number)

-->From
    _clpInitPinText(_clp_pin_text "" 0:0)

-->To
    _clpInitPinText(_clp_pin_text "99" 0:0)

Once you make these change you can deleted the existing mechanical pins and import the modified sub-drawing (File > Import > Sub-Drawing) into your symbol using x 0 0 as your insertion point. Now the pins will have an pin number associated to them which makes them a connect pin and using Edit > Text you can change the pin number place holder 99 to the correct pin number.
    Doing it this way you don't have to stress on placing the new connect pins at the exact same location as the existing mechanical pins and all you need to do is update the attached pin numbers.

Like I said before if you only have a couple mechanical pins to convert to connect pins then it would be fast to just replace them using "Add Pin" as Shiva indicated but if you have lots of mechanical pins to convert it is just faster going the sub-drawing Export/Import route.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone
    UTStarcom, Inc.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
  • Wed, May 7 2008 8:18 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Mike,

Thanks for the replies. Would have hoped that there would be better support within Allegro for converting between Mechanical and Connect pins. I guess not something most do too often if libraries were created from scratch in Allegro, but for those of us transitioning and converting libraries from other tools such as OrCad Layout it would really help.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by dschaefer
  • Wed, May 7 2008 9:42 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Thanks very much for all your replies!
    Jackie

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Jackie
  • Fri, Aug 29 2008 3:04 AM

• Babu Bin Karim
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Trivandrum, Kerala
    • Posts 33
    • Points 390
    Re: RE: Change Connect Pin to Mechanical Reply

Mike,

I would like to appreciate your knowledge about the tool. Out of curiosity I would like to know how do you get these "hidden" secrets of allegro (like the one you have explained for changing pintype by editing the .clp file). Is there any documentation for such things from cadence? Please give some directions to explore... :)

Thanks again

Babu 

• Fri, Aug 29 2008 7:35 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 101
    • Points 4,995

There is Allegro documentation that describes functional but not really anything that describes any "hidden" secrets.   I have been involved with user community for a long time (ICU then CDNLive!) and have been using the tools even longer so over time I managed to pickup a couple tricks here and there.  Allegro is a very versatile tool and there isn't just one way to accomplish a task.  I have always found better and better ways of doing my everyday tasks in Allegro and never stop thinking that "I found the best way" because there is always a better way.  The bottom line whatever makes you more productive it is the best way to go.

User communities like this is a great place to tap into those Cadence users out there that are always willing to share and help out other users.  This is what CDNLive! is all about.  Hopefully sometime in the future you will be able to attend a CDNLive! event in person because there is always some much more to learn and I have to admit I always come back knowing something I did not know before. On top of that, the contacts that I make have been so valuable and not only do I increase my knowledge about the Cadence tools but about Design as well.

I made a very good friend at CDNLive! a couple years back.  He has been doing PCB Design for a very long time and has moved to Cadence Allegro not to long ago.  Here is a link that will do a search for his last two papers at CDNLive! which won Best Paper for the PCB Allegro tracks two year in a row and he is going to present again this year at CDNLive! San Jose.  You want some Tips-Tricks check out these presentations.

http://www.cadence.com/rl/Pages/default.aspx?k=&DA=All&PS=All&RT=All&KW=Vincent%20Di%20Lello

Good Luck and welcome aboard,
    Michael Catrambone
    UTStarcom, Inc.

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Aug 27 2012 12:24 PM

• arehnman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 20 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Actually it's very simple but I have to admit it's not very intuitive (at least until you know how to do it)

To change a connect pin to mechanical pin

1) Click delete icon
    2) Select text in object find filter
    3) click on pin number to convert to mechanical

To change a mechanical pin to a connect pin just

1) select Add->Text
    2) select Active class "Package Geometry"
    3) select "Pin Number" in Subclass
    4) click on pin to change
    5) click again where you want the text
    6) enter pin number and press enter

/Ake

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 05 May 2008 12:55 PM. Topic has 9 replies.