Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Text Sizes for PINs, Silk, Assy

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Text Sizes for PINs, Silk, Assy 

Last post Sun, Feb 27 2005 9:42 AM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 27 Feb 2005 09:42 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 825 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Feb 27 2005 9:42 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Text Sizes for PINs, Silk, Assy Reply

I just completed my first design using SPB15.2 and what gave me the most trouble was text sizes.

Being it was my 1st design, as I created symbols, I did not give much thought to the implications of assigning Text Block Sizes for PINs, SILK and ASSY. (I had no strategy).

As a result when it came time to generate output files for the silk screen and assembly I encountered numerous silk and assy refdes sizing problems.

I wanted some of the assembly text sizes to be larger than the silkscreen text. But there was a conflict between the silkscreen and assy text sizes, they could not be sized independently because they used the same text blk size assignments.

I need to devise a strategy going forward to better deal with text sizes.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    rjoecl

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by rjoecl
    • Post Points: 0
  • Mon, Feb 28 2005 6:52 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Text Sizes for PINs, Silk, Assy Reply

The text block is determined from the library symbol (.dra/.psm). You should NOT use the same text block with different sizes in different symbols or you could have problems as you have found out. The best way going forward would be to change the text block sizes in your library symbols (.dra/.psm) so they all match.

To change sizes in your design, assuming the refdes have already been placed, you would want to change the size manually with Edit > Change (text cannot be changed if it is not visible so you can always turn off certain subclass layers when you do the Edit > Change). Once you are in this command either select the text individually or window an area by clicking the left mouse button and dragging or create a temporary group by selecting the right mouse button (RMB) - Temp Group, select the text that you want to change and do another RMB - Complete.

If the refdes are not already placed in your design, once you have the correct text block sizes in your library symbols, you could select Place > Update Symbols in the design and choose Package symbols along with the check box ""Reset symbol text locations"" near the bottom of the form. Remember the draw back to this method would be if the refdes had already been moved/placed, they will reset to the location in the .dra file.
    I hope this helps.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Padmin
  • Mon, Feb 28 2005 10:34 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Text Sizes for PINs, Silk, Assy Reply

Padmin,

Thank you for your answer.

rjoecl

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by rjoecl
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 27 Feb 2005 09:42 AM. Topic has 2 replies.