Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > faster way of redrawing planes

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

faster way of redrawing planes 

Last post Wed, Sep 15 2004 6:54 AM by archive. 5 replies.
Started by archive 15 Sep 2004 06:54 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1858 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Sep 15 2004 6:54 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    faster way of redrawing planes Reply

"I have a board with six planes replicated across 3 layers.
    When I add a via, I need a fast way to redraw the planes so the via is included. Right now I have to select each plane and go through ""shape"", ""select shape"", select the plane that I want to update, right click on the plane select parameters and then apply.

It gets to be a real pain having to do this for each plane and hopefully not forget one.

Is there a better way?"

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Tx_LongBow
    • Post Points: 0
  • Fri, Sep 17 2004 11:11 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: faster way of redrawing planes Reply

If your using version 15 with dynamic planes, the planes should update automatically when you drop a via.

If your not using vrsion 15, you should be :)

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by padmaster
  • Mon, Sep 20 2004 8:32 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Assuming you are using an older version of Allegro, why not delete two of the duplicate planes and z-copy the one plane when you are completely done with the routing?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by barristan
  • Mon, Sep 20 2004 8:58 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

As was suggested, just do one of the plane layers and zcopy the others later.

However, if these are revisions where all the planes exist and you have to make some changes, the main v14.2 technique is just don't worry about the drc's until you are finished adding vias, etc, then revoid the whole plane or all the new vias.

Sliding and copying edits are much tougher when the planes are all there. In the slide command, you can't do it at all unless you have drc off in the slide, and even then it's not smooth. Copying is a crapshoot, in that you have no idea what net your via will assume. In one awful motherboard, I had to move all the planes out of the way(as has been mentioned on this server some time ago), and move them back later. Also, for visualization purposes, I had to build a bunch of plane shapes on non-etch subclasses while making changes.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by westfeldt
  • Tue, Oct 12 2004 2:50 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

(I am using 15.2) In drawing options, set shapes (Dynamic Copper Pour) to "Disabled". Drop your vias and regularly press "Update to Smooth" button. This may not be exactly what you want, but it will speed up the design work.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Ulf Kylenfall
  • Sun, Nov 14 2004 6:45 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

All the suggested methods work, but sometimes after tweeking several other places in your design, fragments of shapes get deposited without your knowing!

I have 2 tricks up my sleeve. Cadence need to be tickled once a while to get its dynamic shapes to refresh correctly with all the voids that you have manually included. To do this I've recorded a macro that just changes the Acute angle trim control in the golbal dynamic shape parameters (under the void controls tab). Record your macro to change from Round to Chamfered then back to Round again. This will ensure all shapes will be refreshed on all layers.

The next tip, if you have a large design, is to partition your dynamic fills around your brd into smaller ones. So say you want to pour a gnd plane over the top layer on a large brd. Divide your dynamic shape into 4 quardrants instead of drawing one huge one over it.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by bughunter
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 15 Sep 2004 06:54 AM. Topic has 5 replies.