Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Error on trying to run ocean script with rpoly2 and rpolyh components in netlist

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Error on trying to run ocean script with rpoly2 and rpolyh components in netlist 

Last post Mon, Apr 14 2014 5:56 AM by Andrew Beckett. 6 replies.
Started by Lings 10 Apr 2014 05:52 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 344 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Apr 10 2014 5:52 AM

• Lings
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 24 2013
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125
    Error on trying to run ocean script with rpoly2 and rpolyh components in netlist Reply

Hello,

I have a schematic desgined in Virtuoso schematic editor.  It has a resistor component and I used 'rpolyh/rpoly2' instance from 'PRIMLIB'. On using ADE for simuation, it completes without any issues. Then I tried to move the simulations to ocean script. On executing the ocean script following error message is issued:

Error found by spectre during AHDL read-in.
        ERROR (VACOMP-1008): Cannot compile ahdlcmi module library. Check the log
            file input.ahdlSimDB//bsource.va.bsource_1.ahdlcmi/Linux/../ahdlcmi.out
            for details. If the compiler ran out of memory, use 'setenv
            CDS_CMI_COMPLEVEL 0', and try again. If the reason for the failure was
            a syntax error, contact your Cadence Customer Support representative
            with the netlist, log files, behavioral model files, and any other
            information that can help identify the problem.
        ERROR (SFE-91): Error when elaborating the instance bsource_1. Simulation
            should be terminated.
    Cannot start up spectre.

I checked the ahdlcmi.out log and shows at the bottom: "gnumake: *** [obj/optimize/5.0/libahdlcmi.so] Error 2". If you want I can also put the whole log file.

The Cadence is installed in a 64 bit server and I'm accessing it remotely. The MMSIM version is MMSIM1110.

The question is, when I use 'rpoly1' instance it works fine for both ADE and OCEAN. But, if I use 'rpoly2/rployh' it works only in ADE and fails in OCEAN.

Could anyone help me out please?

Thanks,

Lings

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Apr 10 2014 8:40 AM

Re: Error on trying to run ocean script with rpoly2 and rpolyh components in netlist Reply

Lings,

I can't really see why it should be different in OCEAN and ADE - ultimately they are generating a netlist and invoking the simulator. You might want to check the input.scs produced via both routes and see if there's a difference (use "diff", or "tkdiff" or similar to compare them).

Maybe the ahdlcmi.out log file will reveal more, so please upload it here (as an attachment  via the Options tab when posting a reply).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Apr 11 2014 12:44 AM

• Lings
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125
    Re: Error on trying to run ocean script with rpoly2 and rpolyh components in netlist Reply

Andrew,

I compared the input.scs files from ADE and OCEAN run. Following differences are present:

1. There are few parameters extra in ADE simulator options which are higlighted below (bolded one):

ADE input.scs file :

simulatorOptions options reltol=100e-6 vabstol=1e-6 iabstol=1e-12 temp=27 tnom=27 homotopy=all limit=delta scalem=1.0 scale=1.0 compatible=spice2 gmin=1e-12 rforce=1 maxnotes=5 maxwarns=5 digits=5 cols=80 pivrel=1e-3 sensfile="../psf/sens.output" checklimitdest=psf

OCEAN input.scs file : 

simulatorOptions options reltol=1e-3 vabstol=1e-6 iabstol=1e-12 temp=27 tnom=27 scalem=1.0 scale=1.0 gmin=1e-12 rforce=1 maxnotes=5 maxwarns=5 digits=5 cols=80 pivrel=1e-3 sensfile="../psf/sens.output" checklimitdest=psf

2. The following entry is availbale only in OCEAN input.scs file and not in ADE generated one:

modelParameter info what=models where=rawfile

element info what=inst where=rawfile output

Parameter info what=output where=rawfile

3. The other minor difference is that the value notation is different in both:

ADE file: parameters l=1u w1=4u w10=5u w2=4u w3=12.5u w4=12.5u w5=16u w6=150.2u w7=95.2u w8=5u w9=3u

OCEAN file: parameters w9=3e-06 w8=5e-06 w7=9.52e-05 w6=0.0001502 w5=1.6e-05 w4=1.25e-05 w3=1.25e-05 w2=4e-06 w10=5e-06 w1=4e-06 l=1e-06

Apart from these there were no other differences. I have attached the ahdlcmi.out log file as an attachemnt. I hope it helps.

Regards,

Lings 

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Apr 11 2014 12:46 AM

• Lings
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125

Hi Andrew, 

I posted the reply and it went to your admistrator moderation. I hope you got it. Let me know for any problems on it.

Regards,

Lings 

• Fri, Apr 11 2014 12:50 AM

Lings,

Whilst I am the "moderator" for this forum, I don't see posts that go to the moderator (currently). One of the admins will take care of it - I'll ask them about it.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Apr 11 2014 1:21 AM

• Lings
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125

Thanks Andrew.

In short, I have explained the minor differences both input.scs files and have uploaded the ahdlcmi.out log file in that post.

Regards,

Lings 

• Mon, Apr 14 2014 5:56 AM

Lings,

The differences in the input.scs from ADE and OCEAN are probably because there are some cdsenv settings which are affecting ADE but are not being included in the OCEAN environment or the OCEAN script. If you used this:

envSetVal("asimenv.misc" "saveDefaultsToOCEAN" 'boolean t)

before saving the OCEAN script in ADE, it should include the effects of the changed homotopy, limit, and compatible options. I think the formatting of the variables probably comes from:

envSetVal("asimenv" "retainDesignVarNotation" 'boolean t)

somewhere in your virtuoso environment (I didn't test this; it's a guess), and you may have to also add this to your .oceanrc. That said, I doubt this is responsible for your compilation problems. I can't see why that should be different in ADE to OCEAN, unless you're running on a different machine. I believe your machine has been set up to have (maybe) "dash" as the "sh" shell. What do you see if you do:

ls -l /bin/sh

(from UNIX). If it points to "dash" rather than "bash", then that could well be the reason for the "illegal option -h" messages - which may be related to the compilation issues. I think that having dash as the default shell is an Ubuntu thing - not sure which distribution  you're using?

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Lings at 10 Apr 2014 05:52 AM. Topic has 6 replies.