Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > How do I get OrCad to recognise a component from one of their supplied libraries?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How do I get OrCad to recognise a component from one of their supplied libraries? 

Last post Sat, Jan 25 2014 3:00 AM by oldmouldy. 1 replies.
Started by TMarkB 24 Jan 2014 12:37 PM. Topic has 1 replies and 3712 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Jan 24 2014 12:37 PM

• TMarkB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 24 2014
    • Newtown, PA
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    How do I get OrCad to recognise a component from one of their supplied libraries? Reply

Greetings all,

I am using OrCad Capture 16.5.  One of the parts libraries in the level above pspice is called "discrete.olb".  Within that library is a relay called G6A-DL-DPDT.  There is no problem selecting it and placing it on the schematic.  There is no problem connecting to it.  However, when I run the simulation, I get a bunch of "Less than 2 connections at node" errors.  These turn out to be the wires connected to the relay.  I then notice that they have added a green circle on the upper left corner of the symbol.  This shows a "No pspice template for the device.".

If this is a supplied library and a supplied device, shouldn't it actually work with the software?  Or, am I missing a step that I have to move "discrete.olb" to some other folder for OrCad to actually use the device?

Thanks for the help,

Mark

• Post Points: 20
  • Sat, Jan 25 2014 3:00 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170
    Re: How do I get OrCad to recognise a component from one of their supplied libraries? Reply

The "level above PSpice" is the clue, tools\capture\library holds the "general" / PCB libraries which don't have the simulation parameters attached, tools\capture\library\pspice holds the pspice specific libraries with the simulation parameters attached and models provided in the installation. You can build a "generic" model from the voltage and current controlled switches for PSpice, if you need a "specific" model of the coil and contacts, you will need to check the relay vendor sites and see if you can get a model for the component that you need and import it.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by TMarkB at 24 Jan 2014 12:37 PM. Topic has 1 replies.