Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > phase noise of divider

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

phase noise of divider 

Last post Fri, Oct 25 2013 1:10 AM by Frank Wiedmann. 2 replies.
Started by Frank Opteynde 24 Oct 2013 06:01 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 3935 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Oct 24 2013 6:01 AM

phase noise of divider Reply
    I need to simulate the phase noise of a divider (or, more generally, simulate the phase noise on a non-sinusoidal signal).   Most straightforward way is SpectreRF -> pss -> pnoise.  There used to be a Cadence application Note about how to do this.  I remember it had to do with simulating pnoise with 'time-domain' option, then dividing the voltage noise [V/sqrt(hz)] by the signal slope to obtain time noise [sec/sqrt(Hz)], then multiply by 2.pi.freq to obtain phase noise [radians/sqrt(hz)].  But since I don't remember the details, can anybody provide me with this application note?   Thanks in advance 
    • Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Oct 24 2013 6:35 AM

• MicheleA
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 1 2012
    • Den Bosch, Netherlands
    • Posts 60
    • Points 885
    Re: phase noise of divider Reply

Hi Frank,

I am not aware of a Cadence app note, so in case I will be glad to take a look :)

However, there is quite some treatment on this and related topic in Kundert's designers-guide.org  site.

This link is a good start : http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/PLLnoise.pdf

If I may say, if you want to characterize the *phase* noise, then PSS and Pnoise are what you need. Just feed your divider with a pure signal (whatever it needs, sin or square), and the Pnoise will give you exactly the output power spectrum of the divided waveform.

The 'strobed PNoise' is I think what you refer to, and was an indirect method based on sampling the noise of your 'edge producing circuit' only at the zero crossing times, and manipulating the PSD of this process (basically, jitter) into phase noise. Quite thick subject, I may add :)

Hope this helps,

Michele 

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Oct 25 2013 1:10 AM

• Frank Wiedmann
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Muenchen, Bavaria
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,560
    Re: phase noise of divider Reply
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Frank Opteynde at 24 Oct 2013 06:01 AM. Topic has 2 replies.