Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > SCALD to HDL conversion

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

SCALD to HDL conversion 

Last post Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:34 PM by luvishis. 3 replies.
Started by MAAC 30 Sep 2013 05:18 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 576 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Sep 30 2013 5:18 AM

• MAAC
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 193
    • Points 3,580
    SCALD to HDL conversion Reply

We are trying to convert the old SCALD designs to HDL designs

? Will Allegro Design authoring license alone is sufficient for this conversion

? Can SCALD designs be conveted to capture(.dsn) designs.

? how is accuracy of conversion.

thnx

• Post Points: 50
  • Mon, Sep 30 2013 8:14 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 83
    • Points 4,710
    Re: SCALD to HDL conversion Reply

Check out the "SCALD to HDL Evolution Guide" in the Help Documentation which explains the process on getting a SCALD Schematic converted to HDL Schematic.

It has been a while since I did the SCALD conversion but I don't remember it requiring any special licenses. 
    NOTE: SCALD wasn't available on Windows so it was required to run the conversion on Cadence 14.2 (UNIX) where SCALD/Translator was available.

As far as it being accurate, I only had a couple issues that I needed to troubleshoot but I was able to successfully convert the SCALD Schematic to HDL.  Your conversion may run perfectly without any modification or you may run into other issues that I didn't run into once the conversion is completed so I would allocate some time to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

Here are the couple of the issues that I ran into:

1.) Text Macro Strings were used to drive the lower level Ref Des.  Upper Block Attribute value
        required \PARAM or \PARAMETER at the end of the value for it to work. If not a null character
        was used whichcaused duplicate Ref Des during packaging. Somewhat simple update.

2.) Mergebody (Merge Parts): Errors seen when saving HDL Schematic or Packaging:

a.) Multiple levels of Merge parts were used to merge connections into Buses.
             Sch Update: The wires required assigned Net Name on both sides of Bus Merge Part.

b.) Some schematic symbols were using Vector pins that were connected to Merge Parts
             which were causing Net Width mismatch on each side of the merge body.
             Sch Update: Block Symbol was changed to flatten vector pins to individual scalar pins to
             minimize the schematic impact.

If possible, try to find the Allegro .brd database that has been sync'd to the SCALD Schematic so you can verify the connectivity by loading the packager files generated from the HDL Schematic.

There may be other resources out there to perform the conversion but at that time I used what was available with the Cadence software back then.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.
    Mike Catrambone

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Sep 30 2013 6:03 PM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 872
    • Points 13,450

I did a bunch of these a few years ago and it did require Unix and a earlier version (15.2 IIRC).  You might have to talk to Cadence if you need them converted since the 15x series is no longer supported.

• Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:34 PM

• luvishis
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 28 2009
    • Posts 52
    • Points 500

Elgris Technologies, Inc.  (www.elgris.com) can convert SCALD designs to HDL , SCALD designs to OrCAD Capture,

Concept HDL to OrCAD Capture

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by MAAC at 30 Sep 2013 05:18 AM. Topic has 3 replies.