Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > extracted view simulation in OCEAN

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

extracted view simulation in OCEAN 

Last post Fri, Oct 4 2013 4:19 AM by Alex Vasjanov. 3 replies.
Started by Alex Vasjanov 24 Sep 2013 11:31 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 530 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Sep 24 2013 11:31 PM

• Alex Vasjanov
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 24 2013
    • Vilnius, Lithuania
    • Posts 17
    • Points 250
    extracted view simulation in OCEAN Reply

Hello, Cadence community,

A short question: has anyone tried to simulate extracted views and change them from the ocean environment?

I have, but didn't succeed (I'm not new to OCEAN or SKILL, so if anyone has any solutions, the level of complexity doesn't matter)... If I understand correctly, one can do this in several ways:
    1) create a config file and bind the schematic to the extracted view;
    2) bind the extracted view directrly from ADE using setup->environment options-> first two textboxes from the top...

I've tried to implement this in ocean and declare these lines in my script:

envOption('switchViewList '( "spectre" "cmos_sch" "cmos.sch" "schematicExtract" "veriloga" "ahdl"))
    envOption('stopViewList '("spectre"))

The schematicExtract is my extracted schematic :)

The lines above do not change the extracts, OCEAN still uses the simple schematic (not extract) during simulations... I understand, that the hierarchy should be created (updated) for the software to bind extracts with schematics, but is there any way of doing that in OCEAN? May be OCEAN scripts are not capable of changing between extracted views?

By the by, the scripts DO calculate extracts when I first configure the config file (or through ADE) and then load the script. But as I mentioned earlyer - the calculations are conducted with only the present extract and if I try to change it to another one (now using the OCEAN lines and not from ADE or config file), nothing happens...

By the way, I do not generate the netlist after setting envOption in the script - maybe that's the case? (though I doubt it)

Regards,
    Aleksandr

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Sep 25 2013 10:00 PM

Re: extracted view simulation in OCEAN Reply

Hi Aleksandr,

This should work fine - but I suspect it's related to how you've specified the design via the design() function in your OCEAN script.

1. If you have specified design("/path/to/netlist") then it won't work, because it doesn't re-netlist the design then - it's only using the netlist you've given it (it adds the variables and analyses etc to form the input.scs, but the design part doesn't change).
    2. If you've specified design("libName" "cellName" "config") - i.e. you're pointing at a config produced by the hierarchy editor, then the switchViewList/stopViewList have no effect, because the view switching is entirely controlled by the config. In this case you could have two different config views and pick the right one in the design() function, or you could (if feeling adventurous) use the hdb.* functions to modify the config. Or you could just do design("libName" "cellName" "schematic") instead and then you can use the switchViewList etc.

Note that you don't have to renetlist for this to work - the run() function does a netlist and run (and does an incremental re-netlist as needed).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Sep 25 2013 11:36 PM

• Alex Vasjanov
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vilnius, Lithuania
    • Posts 17
    • Points 250

Hello, Andrew,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I've declared my design through design("/path/to/netlist") and as You said, it doesn't work.

After declaring the schematic with:

design("libName" "cellName" "schematic")

the lines with envOption now seem to work properly.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Aleksandr.

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Oct 4 2013 4:19 AM

• Alex Vasjanov
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vilnius, Lithuania
    • Posts 17
    • Points 250

Another question arose: say I have a schematic with only a block that has an extracted view and I need to change it's extracts within OCEAN. I assume that the envOption way isn't suitable for this. (didn't work for me) I can solve this with creating different config files every single of which binds the desired extract to that particular block and then change them (the configs) in the script.

Maybe there's another way, a smarter one?

Regards,

Aleksandr.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Alex Vasjanov at 24 Sep 2013 11:31 PM. Topic has 3 replies.