Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Copy circuit from one board to another...?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Copy circuit from one board to another...? 

Last post Thu, Aug 22 2013 12:27 PM by Davyblues. 4 replies.
Started by Davyblues 22 Aug 2013 08:42 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 551 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Aug 22 2013 8:42 AM

• Davyblues
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 22 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    Copy circuit from one board to another...? Reply

I've been away from Allegro for three years and I'm trying to remember how to copy a circuit (parts, etch and planes) with intelligence from one board to another. I'd rather not put the circuit together manually using a clipped sub-drawing... I'm trying the plctxt commands and having problems. When I type "run plctxt_out" on the command line I get error "Run returned non-zero status =-127." When I type "run plctxt", it crashes Allegro. I am using 16.5 I know I've done this before...help remembering how?

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Aug 22 2013 8:56 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,408
    • Points 24,030
    Re: Copy circuit from one board to another...? Reply
    "run" would be expecting a script file, "plctxt" and "plctxt out" are "just" commands so you don't need the "run" on the command line. You can also use File>Export(Import)>Placement from the menu. (See the pcomms.pdf in the doc\pcomms directory of the installation) You are only going to get the placement in this case through, rather "all" the circuit. You could use Placement Edit Application mode and create a MDD file from the existing circuit, this can contain placed components and routing, you can then "apply" thsi to the new design and PCB Editor will match the RefDes's between the circuits. (Check the algroplace.pdf in the doc\algroplace directory of the installation for a discussion of Placement Edit Application mode)
  • Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:35 AM

• Davyblues
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Remembering the tools in the menu is a... Thanks for the edit>export>placement (duh). Would have been nice if the help documentation about plctxt would have mentioned that as an option.

The PDF documentation...what is the installation you are referring to and where do I find the paths to those documents (doc/pcomms and doc/algroplace)?

That will lead me to the documentation about the Placement Edit Application. That sounds like the process I need to try.

Thanks for your time...

• Thu, Aug 22 2013 12:17 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,408
    • Points 24,030
    The product insatallation? Usually C:\Cadence\<release> on Windows.
    • Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Aug 22 2013 12:27 PM

• Davyblues
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Got it...thank you.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Davyblues at 22 Aug 2013 08:42 AM. Topic has 4 replies.