Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > startup config options for Allegro

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

startup config options for Allegro 

Last post Thu, Aug 8 2013 2:02 PM by mpfleger. 8 replies.
Started by mpfleger 07 Aug 2013 10:08 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 1606 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Aug 7 2013 10:08 AM

• mpfleger
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 14 2009
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 13
    • Points 260
    startup config options for Allegro Reply

Hi all.

I'm running 16.6 on Win7, and am having some interesting problems. In my attempts to diagnose exactly what's going on, I stumbled across a posting where someone outlined the command line options for starting allegro. The file:

C:\Cadence\SPB_16.6\share\pcb\batchhelp\allegro.txt

- suggests launching with the executable with "-product help", but the result of this is shown in a popup that isn't big enough to show all the output, and can't be resized =/

Does anybody know a good online ref for all the command line options that can be fed into allegro at startup?

The crux of what I'm struggling with is that when I get Capture to generate a netlist and spawn allegro, it tries to call Allegro PCB Design XL, and fails. Our licensed versions of Allegro are "Designer" or "Design L", and I typically use the High-Speed option for the former. I've tried hunting through every .ini and .bat file I could find in the CDS directories, to no avail.

Has anyone had to deal with this before, and have any ideas where I should be looking?

Please advise.

TIA,

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Aug 7 2013 12:41 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,371
    • Points 23,350
    Re: startup config options for Allegro Reply

Whilst it's true that not all the options are shown, the displayed ones should be enough to get you going. Start a Command Prompt and type:

allegro -product PCB_design_studio<enter>

to start with the "legacy L" option, and:

allegro -product Allegro_performance<enter>

to start with the "Designer" option

You could also try "allegro -safe" on the command line, that will ignore any configuration.

16.6 has license caching on by default, you could try renaming the "pcbenv" directory, defaults to C:\SPB_Data\pcbenv that will get PCB Editor to start a new set of configuration file defaults and clear any past selections, or caching.

See if that leads anywhere.

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Aug 7 2013 2:41 PM

• fxffxf
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • ., AK
    • Posts 290
    • Points 4,620

Select File -> Change Editor

In the Product Choices dialog hit the Help button

Scroll towards the bottom of the resulting window.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Aug 7 2013 3:17 PM

• mpfleger
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 260

Hmmm... I found these two lines in my allegro.ini file (in the pcbenv folder):

base_license=Allegro_performance

option_licenses=Allegro_PCB_HighSpeed_Option  

It's like this file is not being read at all, and the files show no changes (by timestamp) since the day I built up this workstation and installed Cadence (June 13).

I renamed the folder to WTF_pcbenv to see what would happen.  The allegro window during startup still shows the same wrong version before failing, and the behaviour was the same. Interestingly (and also unsurprisingly) no new folder was created to replace the one that I renamed. Using the Change Editor item from the menu results in the same behaviour.

Is there a way to see where allegro is pointing at for the pcbenv folder contents?

TIA,

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Aug 8 2013 1:00 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,371
    • Points 23,350
    Are you sure that licenses are available? It is possible that there are no licenses availble for PCB Editor and the "XL" license is the last one that is being checked, hence the message. Check the license manager "debug,log" and there should be some messages relating to you license request, "DENIED" and the reason.
  • Thu, Aug 8 2013 5:01 AM

• fxffxf
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • ., AK
    • Posts 290
    • Points 4,620

on Allegro command line type

echo $localenv

This reports the location of your config directory. If you don't have a HOME system variable set it defautls to the user directory Microsoft provides. This location differs depending upon the Windows OS you are running.

• Thu, Aug 8 2013 11:18 AM

• mpfleger
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 260

Hi fxffxf,

Now that was simultaneously interesting and somewhat infuriating:

This location contains an allegro.ini file, which (surprise surprise) does specify the wrong version of Allegro WRT our license file.

Apparently *somebody* set up GPOs to assign our HOME vars to point to a directory on a server. This would explain why pcbenv installed in one place, and then hasn't been touched, probably since the machine was added to the domain. The fun increases exponentially when I discover that this file requires admin privs to modify or delete, and by that I mean domain admin, rather than the local admin privs I have. Which is why none of the changes I try to make are persistent.

In any case; I would rather have this directory ending up somewhere other than $HOME. Could someone please point out where the definition is established, for the Cadence $localenv? More specifically; how do I point this to a folder of my choice?

TIA,

M

• Thu, Aug 8 2013 11:47 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,371
    • Points 23,350
    Re: startup config options for Allegro Answer Reply
    Add a new machine Environment Variable called ALLEGRO_PCBENV with a value of the required local "pcbenv" directory location. This "trumps" $HOME once set and you should be able to get the pcbenv structure back from "admin" control.
  • Thu, Aug 8 2013 2:02 PM

• mpfleger
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 260

oldmouldy and fxffxf:

Nicely done gents! Your suggestions were able to help me nail down what was going on, and finally to deal with the problem. Now when the rest of the office workstations get moved to Win7 and Cadence 16.6 - we have a way of circumventing the GPO fun :D

Thanks a bunch!

-M 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mpfleger at 07 Aug 2013 10:08 AM. Topic has 8 replies.