Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > homogenous symbols

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

homogenous symbols 

Last post Thu, Jul 4 2013 9:34 PM by marysmita. 4 replies.
Started by marysmita 04 Jul 2013 02:26 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 1070 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:26 AM

• marysmita
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 4 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    homogenous symbols Reply

Hi,

I am using Homogenous -'parts per package' symbol on my design. i get a netlisting error if i dont connect the power pins present on all the parts. ( for eg. for a HEX inverter IC with 6 parts, the power (#14) & GND (#7) pins are present on all the parts. ) is there a way to avoid connecting on all parts and successfully complete netlisting. 

PS: I am not keen to create Hetrogenous Parts as that would require a lot of modification in my symbol library. 

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions. 

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jul 4 2013 3:22 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,436
    • Points 24,455
    Re: homogenous symbols Reply
    No, you need to connect all the power pins consistently to get the design to work. Capture will check the the power connections are consistent as part of the design integrity checking. IF you have any unconnected Power pins, they will connect to a Global Net name os the same name as the Pin, if this not the name of the required Power net, the sections of the part cannot be packaged together.
  • Thu, Jul 4 2013 3:29 AM

• marysmita
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    But if I create the part as Hetrogenous, I dont need to show the power and ground pin on all the parts. If I am not planning to use Back annotation, it is advisable that I create a hetrogenous part per package symbol for the regular Logic gates ( hex inverter or quad AND Gate)?
  • Thu, Jul 4 2013 9:30 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,436
    • Points 24,455
    Re: homogenous symbols Answer Reply

Yes, that's true. A Homogeneous part has the same graphics and pins in all sections, that means the you will have multiple power pins and they, in turn, must be consistently connected to get the part packaged properly. A Heterogeneous part can have different graphics and pins in each section, such as having the power pins in one section, and not in others, or having the power pins in a section on their own.

Back annotation, or not, doesn't really come into it. You can have Homogeneous, or Heterogeneous, parts as required for design convenience. Homogeneous parts are a little more simple since the graphics are only created once for all the sections but the power pins need to be take care of between the sections in the schematic. Heterogeneous parts allow more flexibility with graphics and pins but need a bit more effort to create, Equally, some parts. like large processors and FPGAs, "pretty much" have to be designed as Heterogeneous parts.

• Thu, Jul 4 2013 9:34 PM

• marysmita
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thanks for your quick response.

regards,

Mary

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by marysmita at 04 Jul 2013 02:26 AM. Topic has 4 replies.