Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > batch launch of ocean -restore script.ocn & issue with the netlisting (input.scs, amap/ ?)

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

batch launch of ocean -restore script.ocn & issue with the netlisting (input.scs, amap/ ?) 

Last post Tue, Jun 18 2013 2:41 AM by samung. 5 replies.
Started by samung 14 Jun 2013 07:41 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 884 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Jun 14 2013 7:41 AM

• samung
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 14 2013
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285
    batch launch of ocean -restore script.ocn & issue with the netlisting (input.scs, amap/ ?) Reply

Hello !!

I am launching a script .ocn to do some spectre simulation : qs ocean -restore script.ocn in which I have written (xxx to remove the real names...):

script.ocn :

simulator( 'spectre )

design( "xxx/netlist")

resultsDir( "xxx/results/" )

stimulusFile( ?xlate nil

"xxx/_graphical_stimuli.scs")

analysis('tran ?stop "100n" )

desVar( "wn1" 100n "ln1" 10n "wn2" 80n "ln2" 30n ... "nmos_tran_model_vth" "nsvtlp" ...)

definitionFile( ".../models.scs" )

temp( 200)

converge( 'ic "out_b" 0 )

converge( 'ic "out" 1.1 )

envOption(

'analysisOrder  list("tran") 

)

save( 'v "out" "out_b" ... "vss" "vri" "vli" )

run()

In the same directory, containing the above script, I have :

corners.scs                  hiddenOptions.scs            models.scs                   results/

_graphical_stimuli.scs       importNetlist.scs            script.ocn             setupCornersIncludeFile.scs netlist

The netlist content :

// Library name: xxx

// Cell name: inv

// View name: schematic

subckt inv A1 YN vdd vnw vpw vss

parameters wp=xxx lp=xxx pfolds=1 wn=xxx ln=xxx nfolds=1

M5 (YN A1 vdd vnw) pmos_tran_model_vth w=wp*10e5 l=lp*10e5 nfing=pfolds mult=1 \

srcefirst=1 mismatch=1 lpe=0 numcos=1 numcod=1 ngcon=1

M2 (YN A1 vss vpw) nmos_tran_model_vth w=wn*10e5 l=ln*10e5 nfing=nfolds mult=1 \

ends inv

// End of subcircuit definition.

// Library name: xxx

// Cell name: ncx

subckt ncx ncx

ends ncx

// End of subcircuit definition.

// Library name: Test

// Cell name: xxx

Rleft (vli saout_b) resistor r=Rleft

M2 (out saeqi saout_b vpw) nmos_tran_model_vth w=wn1 l=ln1 nfing=1 mult=1 \

M0 (out net07 vss vpw) nmos_tran_model_vth w=wndiff l=lndiff nfing=1 mult=1 \

M4 (vli saeni vdd vnw) pmos_tran_model_vth w=wpen l=lpen nfing=1 mult=1 srcefirst=1 \

mismatch=1 lpe=0 numcos=1 numcod=1 ngcon=1

M3 (vri saeni vdd vnw) pmos_tran_model_vth w=wpen l=lpen nfing=1 mult=1 srcefirst=1 \

mismatch=1 lpe=0 numcos=1 numcod=1 ngcon=1

I1 (out_b net08 vdd vnw vpw vss) inv wp=xxx lp=xxx pfolds=1 wn=xxx \

ln=xxx nfolds=1

V0 (net07 aout_b) vsource dc=xxx type=dc

I2 (net09) ncx

I cannot succeed in launching without any error the simulation :

log :

Simulating `input.scs' on clusts04 at 4:05:12 PM (process id:

13569).

Notice from spectre in `ncx', during circuit read-in.

"input.scs" 29: Subcircuit 'ncx' is empty.

Time for NDB Parsing: CPU = 761.883 ms, elapsed = 1.48527 s.

Time accumulated: CPU = 761.883 ms, elapsed = 1.48527 s.

Peak resident memory used = 30 Mbytes.

Error found by spectre during hierarchy flattening.

ERROR (SFE-23): "input.scs" 37: M2 is an instance of an undefined model

nsvtlp.

ERROR (SFE-23): "input.scs" 39: M1 is an instance of an undefined model

nsvtlp.

ERROR (SFE-23): "input.scs" 41: M0 is an instance of an undefined model

nsvtlp.

ERROR (SFE-23): "input.scs" 43: M4 is an instance of an undefined model

psvtlp.

ERROR (SFE-23): "input.scs" 45: M3 is an instance of an undefined model

psvtlp.

Error found by spectre in `inv':`I1', during hierarchy flattening.

ERROR (SFE-23): "input.scs" 18: I1.M5 is an instance of an undefined model

psvtlp.

ERROR (SFE-23): "input.scs" 20: I1.M2 is an instance of an undefined model

nsvtlp.

Error found by spectre in `inv':`I0', during hierarchy flattening.

ERROR (SFE-23): "input.scs" 18: I0.M5 is an instance of an undefined model

I would like to be able to launch sucessfully the simulation without any amap/ directory. To do it, I have tried to remove in the script.ocn, the "/" from /out for example.

I don't undertsand why I should, mandatory, use an input.scs file, and once the command launched, I don't have any input.scs file created.

Do you think this is possible ?

Thanks a lot !!

Pete

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jun 14 2013 7:54 AM

Re: batch launch of ocean -restore script.ocn & issue with the netlisting (input.scs, amap/ ?) Reply

From what you've described, the desVar() which is setting  "nmos_tran_model_vth" "nsvtlp" wouldn't alter the model instances in the netlist, unless you have some subckt models defined somewhere which uses "analogmodel" to switch the models by a parameter.

Either way, it appears that your ../models.scs file is not defining all the models that the design needs.

There's no need to supply an input.scs - you should be able to supply "netlist". No need for amap either - that's only if you want to be able to use schematic names in your plots and so on, where that mapping was captured during netlisting.

So it's not that clear what your problem is, other than that you have devices which are referencing models that it can't find in the resulting "input.scs" that gets generated by OCEAN, or in any of the files that it includes.

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Jun 14 2013 8:25 AM

• samung
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285
    Re: batch launch of ocean -restore script.ocn & issue with the netlisting (input.scs, amap/ ?) Reply

Hi Andrew !!

Thanks for your quick reply.

I checked if the issue was coming from "desVar() which is setting  "nmos_tran_model_vth" "nsvtlp" wouldn't alter the model instances in the netlist", it's not coming from here. I replaced the "nmos_tran_model_vth"  by nsvtlp for example and I have the same errors in the log.  Plus, this strategy is working with a cadence database (I mean the working directory is the Analog Environment one). But, in my case I have to recreate this simulation environment : netlist, script.ocn, graphical_stimuli... because I try to evaluate different netlist as input (different mos sizes, models...).

Then, I am investigating  on the "it appears that your ../models.scs file is not defining all the models that the design needs". I will comment soon on it.

Hopefully, you say that I don't need any mapping file. Indeed, I don't want to recreate also all the mapping files environment.

Thanks.

pete 

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Jun 14 2013 9:23 AM

• samung
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

Andrew,

for debugging, I would like to keep alive the "input.scs" file created,  indeed, it seems the file is removed during the simulation. How can I do that ?

Thanks !!

Pete 

• Fri, Jun 14 2013 10:29 AM

You don't need the mapping files, and the input.scs is NOT removed during simulation. It's recreated though - this is because you specify the analyses you want, and the design variables, and the models and so on - so it assembles the "input.scs" from these choices plus the "netlist" file - and then simulates using that.

Once it is assembled, it remains - but if you run the simulation again, it will be re-assembled, and so on.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Tue, Jun 18 2013 2:41 AM

• samung
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285
    Hi Andrew !! I have finally made the decision to use "spectre" instead of "ocean". In this way, I can better control the different necessary files. I think, there was indeed some issue with the corners (model files). Thanks for the support. P.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by samung at 14 Jun 2013 07:41 AM. Topic has 5 replies.