Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Error Creating a Printed Circuit Board Using OrCad Capture and PCB Editor

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Error Creating a Printed Circuit Board Using OrCad Capture and PCB Editor 

Last post Tue, Dec 3 2013 3:40 AM by tmd63. 3 replies.
Started by JoshDL 13 Jun 2013 11:27 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 922 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jun 13 2013 11:27 AM

• JoshDL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 11 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 35
    Error Creating a Printed Circuit Board Using OrCad Capture and PCB Editor Reply

Hello,

Its been a long time since I've worked designing PCB's. I'm using Orcad Capture for elaborating the schematics and then, and this part is where I'm having a problem, trying to creat the PCB Boadr, creating the NetList, etc etc. I follow all the steps and I even tried doing it with a simple RC circuit to see if my design was the problem. But gives me the same error.

Now, what is the error yu might ask. Well, after creating "successfully" the Netlist, the PCB editor opens BUT, and this is the imporant part, THERE IS NO PCB in sight.

I really dont know what migh it be. If any one can help me with this I would really apreciate it.

P.S: using ORCAD 16.6 on Windows 7 x64. 

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Jun 13 2013 11:37 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,391
    • Points 23,705
    Re: Error Creating a Printed Circuit Board Using OrCad Capture and PCB Editor Reply

Are you expecting to find a finished PCB?

You need to add a Board Outline and Place Keepin, then you can use the Place>Quickplace to get the Parts onto the canvas, or use Place>Manually to place components from the Placement list. PCB Editor designs can have many thousands of parts, it wouldn't be productive to "just dump" the parts onto the canvas in all cases.

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Dec 3 2013 2:48 AM

• pcbapc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 3 2013
    • ADDISON, IL
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40
    Re: Error Creating a Printed Circuit Board Using OrCad Capture and PCB Editor Reply
    I think you should use E-Cam stations to view customer drawing and specs and 100% DRC check prior to manufacture and NC-Cam for engineering and programming .It might be helpful for you.
    American Progressive Circuits,Inc, 1772 Armitage Court ADDISON IL 60101 http://www.pcbapc.com
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Dec 3 2013 3:40 AM

• tmd63
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 23 2012
    • Stonehouse, Gloucestershire
    • Posts 39
    • Points 855

Old Mouldy is correct. Once you have created the netlist, you need to go into the PCB editor (which should open automatically) and place the board outline. Then manually place the components from the picker.

I tend to not use the component keepout/keepin areas when I do an initial design as these are only additional areas that need to be changed when the baord outline needs to be expanded or reduced. Once I know how much area is required, I adjust the board outline and then add the keepout/keepin areas.

The impossible we do straight away. Miracles take a little longer.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by JoshDL at 13 Jun 2013 11:27 AM. Topic has 3 replies.