Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > How do you control what layer a via connects to?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How do you control what layer a via connects to? 

Last post Mon, Jun 10 2013 5:40 PM by redwire. 3 replies.
Started by Oscilliscoper 09 Jun 2013 02:48 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 756 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Jun 9 2013 2:48 PM

• Oscilliscoper
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 9 2013
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115
    How do you control what layer a via connects to? Reply

Another very basic and stupid question, I'm sure: How do I control what layer a via is connected to?

I know that when laying down wires, you have to double click to make a via, but that makes a via from the top layer to the bottom layer or vice versa. How can I change the via to be from layer x to layer y? For example, if I want to make a via from the top layer to an internal layer VDD, what would I have to do? Thanks for any help!

:-) 

WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and *will* be asked. ~~~ Better the pain of hard work, than the pain of regret. :-)
    Filed under: , , , ,
    • Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Jun 10 2013 1:39 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,570
    Re: How do you control what layer a via connects to? Reply
    Use Setup>BB Via Definitions to define the vias and add these vias to the VIA cell(s) in the Constraint Manager so that they can be selected when routing. Be aware that blind and buried vias will typically increase the cost of fabrication of your board.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Jun 10 2013 7:46 AM

• Oscilliscoper
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 9 2013
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115
    In the constraint manager, would I go to Physical > Net > All Layers and then set it for the wire I'm interested in under the "Via" column?
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and *will* be asked. ~~~ Better the pain of hard work, than the pain of regret. :-)
    Filed under: , ,
    • Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Jun 10 2013 5:40 PM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 875
    • Points 13,480

Just to be clear about your question..are you specifically addressing blind/buried/microvias?  Otherwise all thru vias will connect to the net in question.  There are some overrides for thru drills to only connect to specific layers for unique situations.  Please re-post if the other answers did not fully explain.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Oscilliscoper at 09 Jun 2013 02:48 PM. Topic has 3 replies.