Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > "Instance name is not unique" even though there are no instances named like so

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

"Instance name is not unique" even though there are no instances named like so 

Last post Tue, Jun 18 2013 11:41 PM by kitmonisit. 3 replies.
Started by kitmonisit 24 May 2013 01:48 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 626 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, May 24 2013 1:48 AM

"Instance name is not unique" even though there are no instances named like so Reply

I am trying to rename an instance to, for example, K0, but I get an error (SCH-1025): Instance name "K0" is not unique. I am sure that there are no other instances currently named K0 in the schematic.

Is this a bug?

I think this is a cache problem. Is there a way I can clear the cache of instance names? 

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, May 28 2013 7:25 AM

Re: "Instance name is not unique" even though there are no instances named like so Reply

In the CIW, can you try do this (with the schematic open for edit):

cv=geGetEditCellView()
    inst=dbFindAnyInstByName(cv "K0")

does it return anything?

I have seen one case where the check above (actually it was for an iterated instance) returned nil, and I had to do (at the UNIX level):

oaScan  -lib libName -cell cellName -view schematic

which reported an issue with the database, and then I called it again with -repair to fix it. Note that you need to have the schematic closed in the editor to be able to run oaScan.

But most lilely it is that you really have an instance called K0 somewhere...

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, May 28 2013 7:26 AM

Re: "Instance name is not unique" even though there are no instances named like so Reply

You didn't say the version you're using - of course the oaScan approach won't help if it is IC5141.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jun 18 2013 11:41 PM

It took a while before I could stumble upon this problem again.

Thanks, some gnd elements are automatically given names that I would like to use myself, like I0, I1, I2, etc...

Edit > Find also helps. 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by kitmonisit at 24 May 2013 01:48 AM. Topic has 3 replies.