Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Post-processing non-PSF results formats through OCEAN

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Post-processing non-PSF results formats through OCEAN 

Last post Fri, May 24 2013 10:33 AM by mnabil. 4 replies.
Started by mnabil 14 May 2013 12:17 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 1013 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, May 14 2013 12:17 PM

• mnabil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 14 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35
    Post-processing non-PSF results formats through OCEAN Reply

Hi,

This seemed like a trivial question but I couldn't find an answer on the forum or online. In ADE you can simulate using spectre or HSPICE and you can still plot the results. I need to do the post-process the data through an OCEAN script. It is very easy to do so on results in PSF format by openResults("results_dir/psf") and then selectResult("analysis") of choice. Upon using HSPICE, the results are available in .tr0, .ac0 formats (even Spectre can output the results in these formats). I could not figure a way to process these formats and plot it on Virtuoso Waveform Graph XL.

Can you please let me know how to post-process these .tr0, .ac0 ...etc. formats using OCEAN? 

I'm using  HSPICE 2012.06-SP2 and IC6.1.5-64b.500.14 

Thanks 

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, May 14 2013 3:30 PM

• mnabil
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35
    Re: Post-processing non-PSF results formats through OCEAN Reply
    For more description of the issue, I keep getting this message: WARNING (OCN-6040): The specified directory does not exist, or the directory does not contain valid PSF results. Ensure that the path to the directory is correct and the directory has a logFile and PSF result files. I also tried ".OPTION PSF=2" to generate the outputs in ASCII format rather than binary, but that didn't help either. I'd appreciate anyone's help on this Thanks
  • Wed, May 15 2013 3:17 PM

• mnabil
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35
    Dear all,
    I found a way for converting a single .tr0 or .ac0 ..etc file into PSF format. It is through using HSPICE conversion function and I couldn't find a solution by cadence yet.
    Th function as listed in the HSPICE manual:
    converter -t PSF -i input_file <-o output_file>

Example
    converter -t PSF -i testpost.tr0 -o testpsf

The input file is testpost.tr0, which HSPICE generates with the POST option. The output file name is testpsf. After running, HSPICE generates two new files: testpsf.psf and logFile. The testpsf.psf file is a PSF file that you can view. The logFile is necessary for the AWD to load the waveform.

However the input .tr0 file must be in ASCII format rather than binary format, so you have to use these to options:
    .OPTION ARTIST=2
    .OPTION PSF=2

That worked well for a single .tr0 file. Howver I tried with a .tr0 that had a sweep variable built in and that didn't work properly. I I find an alternative way I'll post here.

If you have an alternative way please share it here as well. I expect that there might be a conversion utility through Cadence itself.

Thanks,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, May 16 2013 12:58 AM

The .tr0, .ac0 files are Synopsys proprietary formats for HSPICE, and as such, ViVA does not read them. However, HSPICE can output PSF directly, and that would normally be done by setting:

.OPTION ARTIST=2 PSF=2

If it is not writing PSF, then you should contact Synopsys. As you say, the alternative is to use Synopsys' translator - Cadence do not provide a translator for the same reason; we provide libraries to allow third-party simulators to write a format that ADE/ViVA can read.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, May 24 2013 10:33 AM

• mnabil
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35

Hi Andrew,

It turned out that I don't need the conversion tool at all and that HSPICE can output the PSF format directory. I mistakenely had .OPTION POST =1  in my stimulus file which was changing the output format.

Just setting .OPTION ARTIST=2 PSF=2 is suffiecient as we have both mentioned.

Thanks,

Mohamed 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mnabil at 14 May 2013 12:17 PM. Topic has 4 replies.