Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Orcad Capture, automatically write probe data to file

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Orcad Capture, automatically write probe data to file 

Last post Thu, May 9 2013 9:31 AM by oldmouldy. 3 replies.
Started by jdwoodhead 09 May 2013 04:01 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 832 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, May 9 2013 4:01 AM

• jdwoodhead
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 22 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40
    Orcad Capture, automatically write probe data to file Reply

Hi,

I'm trying to automate the process of writing some transient simulation data to a text file of my choice.

A simple example would be exporting the voltage at 2 separate nodes in the circuit to 2 files called Voltage1.txt and Voltage2.txt 

I know I can export data from the probe window using File->Export->Text but I would like to be able to place a component in the schematic that generates the output file each time the simulation is run rather than manually clicking on buttons.

I have tried using vplot and vprint but the data they export is buried some way through the output file rather than in individual files (as far as I can tell). 

I think I either need someway to modify vplot/vprint or some other component that is the opposite of vpwl_file, so it writes to a filename instead of reads. Can anyone tell me wehther this functionality exists or any other way that I culd do what I'm trying to achieve?

Jon 

Software Info (everything from the 'About' box):

OrCad Capture 16.5-S013 (v16-5-13AE) 

PIC Plugin 16.5-S001 (v16-5-13D) 5/24/2011

PSpice Plugin 16.5-S001 (v16-5-13D) 5/24/2011

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, May 9 2013 4:28 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,445
    • Points 24,590
    Re: Orcad Capture, automatically write probe data to file Reply
    Not with 16.5 but you could most likely use the TCL capabilities of 16.6 Probe to get what you want.
  • Thu, May 9 2013 8:25 AM

• jdwoodhead
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 22 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hi,

Thanks for that. I'll check with our IS Department on whether we're due for an upgrade.

I haven't encountered TCL before, but have found the (gigantic) pdf introducing you to using it in the install directory so will have a look through it and see if I can get my head round it. At first glance it sounds a bit like a programming language that allows you to run scripts in the Capture environment (like running Macros in Excel?) so it's probably something I should know about.

Can you tell me whether TCL functionality is assosciated with your computer (code needs to be in the installation directory somewhere) or can you tie it in to a particular project file? So, if I genreate a project that uses some clever new coding, can I pass it on to a colleague to use on another computer or would I need to provide the TCL bit as well?  

Jon 

• Thu, May 9 2013 9:31 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,445
    • Points 24,590
    You have the TCL documentation for Capture, you can get a general idea from this and the provided samples (and copious TCL / TK resources on the web), but they are all for Capture only in 16.5. In 16.6, you get the PSpice specific examples for reference. IF you want to share the code for your TCL written functionality, the code would need to be copied to the "other" machine(s) and activated when the simulator runs, there is a file structure that supports "autoload". You will need to get 16.6 installed, take a look at the provided examples and what you want to achieve and use the orcad_scripting alias for specific information.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by jdwoodhead at 09 May 2013 04:01 AM. Topic has 3 replies.