Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Allegro Viewer will not start after upgrade

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Allegro Viewer will not start after upgrade 

Last post Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:52 AM by ALawrence. 11 replies.
Started by Chris DeWitt 03 May 2013 08:50 AM. Topic has 11 replies and 5424 views
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, May 3 2013 8:50 AM

Allegro Viewer will not start after upgrade Reply

I just upgraded from allegro_free_viewer_16-5 to allegro_free_viewer_16-6.  Right after the upgrade it worked fine but today I keep getting the message

This application has failed to start because callbackMgr.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the viewer but same results. 

I did a regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Cadence Design Systems\Allegro Free Physical Viewers 16.6\tools\pcb\bin\callbackMgr.dll" to register the dll but I get "Dll_Name was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer or DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found."

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, May 22 2013 2:33 PM

Re: Allegro Viewer will not start after upgrade Reply

Does anyone understand what the problem is?

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, May 23 2013 2:14 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,050
    • Points 16,910

Check the path settings and also if you RMB on the icon where is the Target pointing to: 16.6 or 16.5. If it's the latter then edit it to say 16.6 and see if that helps.

• Thu, May 23 2013 8:03 AM

The path is correct and points to the right version (16.6).  At one point I tried to re-register the dll and received the following.“C: \Program Files\Cadence Design Systems\Allegro Free Physical Viewers 16.6\tools\pcb\bin\callbackMgr.dll was loaded, but the
    DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.This file cannot be registered."

I rebooted and it worked for a while but then started doing the same thing again.  Haven't been able to get it to run again.
  • Wed, May 29 2013 3:03 PM

• Centennial
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 3 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

I too am having very similar problems after installing allegro_free_viewer_16-6.  After installing the application I got the message "This application has failed to start because callbackMgr.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem." 

I reinstalled the application and got the same message.  I rebooted my computer and got the same message.

What should I try next?  Thanks

• Wed, May 29 2013 3:09 PM

I don't know what its problem is but I yesterday I did an un-install/re-install with a fresh download of the viewer and it worked.  It still seems to be working today.

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 2:22 PM

• cslouffman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 35

I was getting the same errors.

Then I opened the application directly from the <wherever>\Cadence Design Systems\Allegro Free Physical Viewers 16.6\tools\pcb\bin\allegro_free_viewer.

This worked correctly. I just setup a shortcut to this application file on my desktop. Hopefully it keeps working.

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Jun 27 2013 12:45 PM

• cdewitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 19 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 10

I did several uninstall, reboot, reinstall cycles and it finaly installed correctly so I'm working.

• Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:18 AM

• Tulkas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 4 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

Hi all,

The solution cslouffman gave seems to be the good one, i had the same problem, but it work for me until now.

thank you cslouffman;)

• Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:48 AM

• TedChase
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 3 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    I moved a copy of "callBad.dll" from "Program Files\Cadence Design Systems\Allegro Free Physical Viewers 16.6\tools\pcb\bin" to "Windows\System32" and now it starts just fine.
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Feb 14 2014 1:10 AM

• isii
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 11 2014
    • Posts 3
    • Points 75

I had the same problem, and solution was to copy file "callbackMgr.dll" from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cadence Design Systems\Allegro Free Physical Viewers 16.6\tools\pcb\bin

to:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64

This solution if for 64 bits systems. For 32 bits, solution is in the last answer.

• Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:52 AM

• ALawrence
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 14 2009
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140

Don't copy non-system DLLs to a system path. It's much safer to add the path to callbackmgr.dll to your PATH environment variable.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Chris DeWitt at 03 May 2013 08:50 AM. Topic has 11 replies.