Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > Enabling user environment customization using group setup files

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Enabling user environment customization using group setup files 

Last post Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:21 AM by Andrew Beckett. 9 replies.
Started by jaleco 10 Apr 2013 11:00 AM. Topic has 9 replies and 1398 views
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:00 AM

• jaleco
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2012
    • Albuquerque, NM
    • Posts 74
    • Points 1,060
    Enabling user environment customization using group setup files Reply

Can anyone offer insight into how to enable individual users to customize their environments when working in multiple projects, each project having multiple users, and each project having its own setup files?

Is there a specific PATH order that setup files will be loaded in, such that person A can maintain their own setup files that will be loaded before the group/project setup files, and independent of person B's personal setup files so that there are no collisions?

Or if not, is this something that could be coded into the setup files, to look for personal setup files on startup, and append them to the group/project setup file content?

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 1:37 PM

Re: Enabling user environment customization using group setup files Reply

Probably worth reading the Cadence Application Infrastructure Guide, particularly the sections which talk about the Cadence Search File mechanism (also referred to as setup.loc) and the csfLookupConfig file. It depends to some extent which file you're talking about, but this manual covers most of it. 

Regards,

Andrew 

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 1:47 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,585
    • Points 15,860

I will add a small note to what Andrew has mentioned above.  You tagged your post with ".cdsenv" and ".cdsinit" so I will comment on these files.  By default the search mechanism for these files does not follow the CSF - the "caiuser" document that Andrew mentions tells you how to create a csfLookupConfig file to include these files in the CSF lookup mechanism. You can set the CDS_LOAD_ENV environment variable to control how the .cdsenv files are found and loaded, and this can have the value "CSF" which would have the same effect, but this would not alter how .cdsinit files are found.

Hopefully the documentation covers what you need to know.

Best regards,

Lawrence.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 2:03 PM

• jaleco
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Albuquerque, NM
    • Posts 74
    • Points 1,060

Thanks Andrew,

I will read up on that section.

This is related to a previous Post - "Open Layout View to spec'd Configuration" -

http://www.cadence.com/Community/forums/p/25853/1322453.aspx#1322453

I am trying to support multiple users with different monitor configurations (and preferences of course) to personalize their desktops without colliding with multiple, existing project setup files....which are mostly default as far as window configurations, but otherwise distinct from project to project.

I can modify any given project's setup files for window layout to suit one user, but not more than one user.  I am referring to the CIW, LSW, Lib Mgr and Layout viewer when I say window layout.  For example, I can define the default Layout window size and location in the .cdsenv file, but that is a project-specific file.  I can define the CIW size and location in the .cdsinit, but that is also a project-specific file.

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 2:15 PM

• jaleco
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Albuquerque, NM
    • Posts 74
    • Points 1,060

Lawrence,

thank you for the added info.  I will definitely read up what I can find on this.

Thank you both once again.

- James

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 6:02 AM

• jaleco
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Albuquerque, NM
    • Posts 74
    • Points 1,060

Hi Lawrence,

I am using a project-specific csfLookupConfig file, which has the following statements in it:

INCLUDE .cdsinit

INCLUDE .cdsenv

I added INCLUDE statements for personal files -

INCLUDE $HOME/.cdsenv

INCLUDE $HOME/.cdsinit

The $HOME/.cdsenv appears to get loaded, as it defines the size and location of the newly opened layout views using a leWindowBBox() setting, and this seems to work.

However, the $HOME/.cdsinit file does NOT appear to be loaded, and this file defines the CIW with a hiResizeWindow() statement, and it is not taking effect.

You did say the csfLookupConfig file would not work for the .cdsinit file, but I am confused how the project setup is successfully using it?

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 6:38 AM

James,

That's not the way that the csfLookupConfig works. It controls whether a type of file is found using the CSF mechanism or not, and doesn't tell it locations where to find/read a file.

So if you have:

INCLUDE .cdsenv
    INCLUDE .cdsinit

it tells it that both of these files will look in the setup.loc locations for each file - that is not the default behaviour for these files (for historical reasons, because both files pre-date the CSF mechanism being introduced).

With .cdsenv, it will load all the files that it finds in setup.loc locations, with the top-most entry in the setup.loc winning over the lower level entries - so that the first is the most-specific.

With the .cdsinit, it loads the first file found only. If you want to load the others, you'd need to carry on the search yourself for other locations to load from, but you can encode that in some central .cdsinit yourself to have the logic where to look.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:06 AM

• jaleco
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Albuquerque, NM
    • Posts 74
    • Points 1,060

Got it, thanks Andrew, it is all working now.

Thank you so much for the clarification.

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:10 AM

• jaleco
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Albuquerque, NM
    • Posts 74
    • Points 1,060
    PS - all good and automated now except for the LSW that is....still haven't found how to define its size and location other than typing a command into the CIW or programming a bindkey to execute a command to set its size...
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 7:21 AM

There's a cdsenv to control the LSW placement (this is for IC5141, I assume, since LSW is replaced by the Layer Palette now) for Layout XL:

layoutXL lswWindow string "((0  0) (0  0))"

If my memory is correct, users can also set the size using an Xdefault:

Opus.LSWGeometry: 200x500+100+100

I've not tried this in a very long time though...

Andrew.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by jaleco at 10 Apr 2013 11:00 AM. Topic has 9 replies.