Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Mirroring PCB

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Mirroring PCB 

Last post Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:00 AM by mvonahnen. 6 replies.
Started by mvonahnen 10 Apr 2013 04:49 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 972 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:49 AM

• mvonahnen
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2008
    • Posts 131
    • Points 2,435
    Mirroring PCB Reply

Is there a way to mirror all the layers in a PCB?  Because of some asymetric structures, I need to move flip my entire design.

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 5:42 AM

• mvonahnen
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 131
    • Points 2,435
    Re: Mirroring PCB Reply

It looks like the method I will need to use is to export the layers individually to a .plt file and import them back in on the appropriate layer.

I am trying to export the clines referenced to the origin of the board.  How do I set the origin when exporting the .plt file?

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:06 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,181
    • Points 19,230

The easiest way is to create some "dummy" layers in the cross section and then use the Edit - Change command and zcopy to move the clines and shapes to the required layer. Then when you've finished remove the "dummy" layers. 

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:20 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 99
    • Points 4,955

Hi,

If you are looking to mirror (flip) select traces you can use the RMB Menu "Mirror Geometry" via the Move or Copy command then you can change the traces to the new layer.

If you are looking to flip the entire board or a large circuit you can generate a Place Replica to perform this task.  Once you generate a Place Replica of the components, clines and vias it will become a group that can be moved as one element, mirrored(flipped) to the opposite side of the board.  This effectively mirrors the entire design with top side traces being moved to the bottom side, etc.  Once it is flipped you can Disband the group so they are no longer related.   Let me know If you haven't used Place Replicate before I can quickly go thru the basics.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:38 AM

• mvonahnen
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 131
    • Points 2,435

I am not aquainted with the RMB menu.  The only mirror command I have been able to find is under the  Edit menu and it only affects Groups, Symbols, and Text.  I tried to group my symbols, vias, and clines, but when I mirrored the group, the clines did not mirror.

I have not had any experience with Place Replica and again I have never seen it in my menus.  I am running Allegro PCB designer and I am not sure I have all the features you are talking about.

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:50 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 99
    • Points 4,955

If you start the Move Command (Edit > Move) then window a couple of Clines, select an origin point to move the Clines and once they are on your cursor click on the Right Mouse Button (RMB) to get access to Mirror Geometry.  This will allow you to mirror the elements while they are attached to your cursor then place them back down.  The same "Mirror Geometry" RMB Menu option is available with the Copy command as well.  This only works for Cline, Vias and Shapes and if you select a component the "Mirror Geometry" option will be greyed out on the Right Mouse Button Menu.

Which Version of Allegro are you using?

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:00 AM

• mvonahnen
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 131
    • Points 2,435

Yes, this works for me.  Thanks-

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mvonahnen at 10 Apr 2013 04:49 AM. Topic has 6 replies.