Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Phase noise plot

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Phase noise plot 

Last post Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:10 PM by Andrew Beckett. 1 replies.
Started by Jithin 10 Apr 2013 03:35 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 838 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 3:35 AM

• Jithin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 8 2012
    • Posts 28
    • Points 395
    Phase noise plot Reply

Hi,

I have been doing a  Pnoise analysis . Unfortunately I was unable to plot the phase noise response.
    My design was  setup was described below.
    My apparatus was a PLL with a fixed divider ratio of 20 and output frequency of 500Mz
    In PSS analysis I have set the beat frequency as reference frequency ie 25 MHz and given tstab as 5u which is far enough.

In Pnoise tab I have put "output node as VCO output" ie 500MHz node and "Input source kept as none".

And also I have given "noise type as Sources" 

Even though the PSS analysis had been converged and done the Pnoise analysis, I haven't got any Phase noise Plot.

Is there any problem in my setup for Pnoisw analysis.Please guide me to overcome this problem.

Thanking you in advance .

With regards,
    Jithin

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:10 PM

Re: Phase noise plot Reply

Jithin,

On the pnoise choose analysis form, did you tell it to do  a relative sweep and set the relative harmonic to 20 (since you want to do a sweep of the VCO frequency, which will be the 20th harmonic of the input frequency)? Then set the start and stop frequency to be an appropriate offset from the carrier that you want to measure the output noise in dBc over. So for example, 10Hz to 10MHz - or whatever. It will then do the sweep from 500MHz+10Hz to 500MHz+10MHz.

I did something similar with a divider, and I was able to plot the phase noise (using the Results->Direct Plot->Main Form).

If this doesn't work, I suggest you give full details of your setup - or better still, log a Case with customer support.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Jithin at 10 Apr 2013 03:35 AM. Topic has 1 replies.