Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > How to prevent Spectre for ckecking license during very long SImulation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to prevent Spectre for ckecking license during very long SImulation 

Last post Tue, Apr 9 2013 1:59 AM by Andrew Beckett. 6 replies.
Started by RFStuff 09 Apr 2013 12:01 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 1036 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:01 AM

• RFStuff
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 5 2013
    • Posts 235
    • Points 4,125
    How to prevent Spectre for ckecking license during very long SImulation Reply

Dear All,

I like to  prevent Spectre for ckecking license during very long Simulation.

One way I think after reading the doc is:-

envSetVal("spectre.envOpts" "licQueueSleep" 'string "x")

To make 'x' very large.

Is it correct ?

What are the need of the remaining. It looks to me little bit confusing.

envSetVal("spectre.envOpts" "licQueueTimeOut" 'string "0")

envSetVal("spectre.envOpts" "lsuspend" 'boolean  t ) 

Kind Regards,

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:10 AM

Re: How to prevent Spectre for ckecking license during very long SImulation Reply

Those options are used to control license queuing before the simulation starts - ie if there is no license available, it can wait until enough a free before starting, rather than aborting immediately. 

Why would you want to prevent license checks during a simulation?

regards,

Andrew 

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:19 AM

Re: How to prevent Spectre for ckecking license during very long SImulation Reply

And the lsuspend option allows spectre to return its license if it is sent a SIGTSTP signal (which suspends the process). The license would then be reclaimed if it was resumed with a SIGCONT signal. The idea is that if you have a long running simulation but want to allow a more urgent short simulation to run, you could pause the long seem, free the license, run the short urgent sim, and then resume the original job. 

Regards,

Andrew 

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:53 AM

• RFStuff
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 235
    • Points 4,125

Dear Andrew,

This is needed because if the local machine is NOT able to connect to the server due to intermitent network failure  and even power failure in the server side.

So whether

envSetVal("spectre.envOpts" "licQueueSleep" 'string "x")

To make 'x' very large. 

will do the job ? i.e. prevent checking the license during simulation.

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 1:15 AM

No,

As I said, those options are for license queuing before the simulation starts. 

We do not provide options to control license rechecking during simulation, because this is how we protect our IP from abuse. There is already a mechanism which provides grace periods to allow for intermittent network or brief power outages of the license server (or even the license server being shut down and restarted to update the licenses), but if the outage is too long, the simulation will stop. 

Regards,

Andrew 

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 1:24 AM

• RFStuff
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 235
    • Points 4,125

There is already a mechanism which provides grace periods to allow for intermittent network or brief power outages of the license server (or even the license server being shut down and restarted to update the licenses), but if the outage is too long, the simulation will stop.

Whether for that I have to do any settings ? What is the grace time 

Kind Regards,

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 1:59 AM

Did you read my previous reply? There are no controls for this. We do not advertise the grace period for the same reasons that I described earlier - anyway, it may vary from tool to tool. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by RFStuff at 09 Apr 2013 12:01 AM. Topic has 6 replies.