Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Why need to launch license every time?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Why need to launch license every time? 

Last post Wed, Apr 3 2013 12:15 PM by Andrew Beckett. 8 replies.
Started by emax 29 Mar 2013 10:34 PM. Topic has 8 replies and 1774 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:34 PM

• emax
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 30 2013
    • Posts 21
    • Points 375
    Why need to launch license every time? Reply

I have installed ic610 on CentOS 6.4 but failed to open schematic editor with an error:

(deLicense-5) Could not get the license for Schematics. Open aborted. 

I found a solution on another forum and it works by launching the license first using command: lmli before starting the virtuoso in work directory.

Now I do not want to launch the license by typing "lmli" every time I start a new virtuoso. Is it possible to append a "lmli" command in .cdsinit or is there an alternate solution for this?

• Post Points: 20
  • Sat, Mar 30 2013 1:09 AM

Re: Why need to launch license every time? Reply

It would have helped if you'd had explained what "lmli" is; it's certainly not a standard command, and I only found it by searching a bit and finding a few mentions on the edaboard forums. It seems to be an alias definition to run "lmgrd -c pathToLicenseFile".

I see no reason why you should have to start the license server each time you run the software; the license server should be launched once on whatever machine is your license server machine, ideally at boot time. This is covered in the licensing documentation that comes with the software.

Then all you would need is to have the $CDS_LIC_FILE env var set to point to the port@host where it is running.

In general running the license server each time you invoke virtuoso would fail because it would probably be running anyway, or you might be invoking virtuoso on a different machine than the license server host.

Also, if the license server was not running, I would expect it to fail because of not being able to access the 111 (Framework) license - virtuoso shouldn't even start without that (in IC61 releases).

Probably best to contact customer support if the above does not help resolve your issue.

Regards,

Andrew  

• Post Points: 35
  • Sat, Mar 30 2013 5:53 AM

• emax
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 21
    • Points 375
    Yes, its strange... the virtuoso starts without complaining for license but the schematic editor does.
    • Post Points: 5
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 7:48 AM

• emax
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 21
    • Points 375

Hi Andrew

In my case virtuoso (ic610) starts without stating the license but of course the schematic editor does not start. I have veriffied this with "lmstat" command. Once I start the license with "lmli" command defined as alias in .bashrc as

alias lmli='/home/eda/ic610/tools/bin/lmgrd -c /home/eda/ic610/share/license/license.dat'

everything works fine.

But I want the license to start at boot or at least automatically... how can I configure this? Please provide detailed configuration steps as I am new to linux.

Also there is an issue mentioned in this post (reply #6):

http://www.edaboard.com/thread148317.html

that after editing LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment and invoking "source .bashrc" and using commands "killall lmgrd", "lmli", "virtuoso" there will be a license error... how that relates if the license is started at boot?

Thanks

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 1:16 AM

As I said, starting the license server each time is nonsensical. It's hardly surprising that you get license errors if you kill the license server off during an existing run of icfb - because then it has no license server any more.

As I said, this is well documented - see  <instDir>/doc/license/license.pdf (which you could have found in any Cadence installation, and also by running cdnshelp, or cdsdoc in old releases). This covers how to start the license server at boot time.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 6:02 PM

• emax
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 21
    • Points 375

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

One more question, for IC610 and MMSIM61 which oldest version of Assura and Calibre are compatiable? I suppose 610 use OA and Assura and Calibre should also be different from previous versions?

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 10:30 PM

If you are really using IC610 (check using help->about in the CIW), then those are both very old and unsupported versions. There would have been a corresponding Assura version (marked with 610 in the version info) but it's hard to be precise with releases that are 7 years old; none of these versions will be on our downloads site. 

As for Calibre, that's not a Cadence product, so I can't help you with that (either).

Do you really have to use such old versions?

Kind Regards,

Andrew 

• Tue, Apr 2 2013 8:24 PM

• emax
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 21
    • Points 375

Yes, I really have to use the old version (ic610).

To be precise will ASSURA 4.12.004-615 lnx86 works with IC610 and MMSIM61. I know it is meant for ic615 but it should be backward OA compatible?

• Wed, Apr 3 2013 12:15 PM

See my reply to your other post
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by emax at 29 Mar 2013 10:34 PM. Topic has 8 replies.