Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > CDF Parameter Passing to the Netlist

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

CDF Parameter Passing to the Netlist 

Last post Mon, Apr 14 2014 3:21 PM by Andrew Beckett. 3 replies.
Started by gintel 12 Mar 2013 05:07 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 1222 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:07 PM

• gintel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 65
    CDF Parameter Passing to the Netlist Reply

Here is my problem:

I would like to create the hspiceD (or spectre, doesn't really matter) netlist for a circuit, let us call it depth0. This circuit has a subblock, i0, which is an instance of cell depth1. Inside depth1, there is a resistor and a capacitor. In addition, depth1 has a parameter called myParam (defaults to 1) that I would like to pass to the netlist. In other words, I would like to create a netlist like this:

.subckt depth1 in out
    * INPUT:  in
    * OUTPUT:  out
    * ----------------------------
    *.PININFO  in:I
    *.PININFO  out:O
    r0 in out 1e3
    c0 out 0 1e-12
    .ends depth1

.subckt depth0 in0 out0
    * INPUT:  in0
    * OUTPUT:  out0
    *.PININFO  in0:I
    *.PININFO  out0:O
    xi0 in0 out0 depth1 myParam=1

.ends depth0
    .end

To achieve this, I have edited the CDF parameters of depth1 (Scope:Cell, Layer:Base). I added a parameter called myParam, type:String, Default Value:1, Parse as CEL:yes, Parse as Number:yes, Store Default:yes. When I build the dept0 schematic and add the depth1 symbol, I can see the myParam parameter in the symbol view. In the Simulation Information of the CDF parameters window, in hspiceD simulator, I added myParam in instParameters section.

When I netlist, I do get the netlist above without the myParam value. In other words, the bold line above in the actual netlist is this:

xi0 in0 out0 depth1

If in the stop view list, I put schematic, then I do get the bold line as I want, (i.e. xi0 in0 out0 depth1 myParam=1), but then the netlister does not descend into i0, and the netlist file does not include the depth1 subckt at all.

Is there a way to keep both the parameter value and the subckt information in the netlist?

Thanks.

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Mar 13 2013 4:26 PM

Re: CDF Parameter Passing to the Netlist Reply

You need something in the schematic to actually use the parameter - e.g. set the resistor value to 1e3*pPar("myParam") - and then it should get netlisted.

Andrew.

• Wed, Mar 19 2014 10:21 AM

• gintel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 65

Hi Andrew,

I am having the same issue with spectre. If I use the parameter inside the lower level schematic, parameter shows up in the netlist. However, I want this netlist to include the defined parameter even if I don't use itin the lower level schematic. Is there a workaround? Is there a dummy block I can add to include these in the netlist?

• Mon, Apr 14 2014 3:21 PM

As I said, the workaround is to use the parameter. You can always set something like:

r=1k+0*pPar("YoureTheOneThatIWant")
    c=1p+0*pPar("IGotChillsTheyreMultiplying")

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by gintel at 12 Mar 2013 05:07 PM. Topic has 3 replies.