Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > skill code to find floating vias in layout

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

skill code to find floating vias in layout 

Last post Wed, Mar 6 2013 3:39 PM by theopaone. 5 replies.
Started by pham777 05 Mar 2013 11:48 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1047 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Mar 5 2013 11:48 AM

• pham777
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 12 2013
    • Posts 17
    • Points 295
    skill code to find floating vias in layout Reply

when I do lvs verification, the one I hate most is the short causing by floating vias in sub block(sub block is lvs/drc cleaned), especially

the sub-block has irregular shape (like a squid, spreading out all over to other blocks, for example, clock buffers..). I wonder if someone

can write a skill code to find floating vias in layout (floating vias means vias not connected to any nets or any instances).

I'm using cadence ic615.06.15.151

Thanks,

ha

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Mar 5 2013 2:03 PM

Re: skill code to find floating vias in layout Reply

Are you using Virtuoso Layout XL? Without that, this is going to be pretty difficult - otherwise you're going to have to extract the connectivity somehow. With Layout XL this would be pretty trivial.

That said, I suspect you're not, because otherwise you probably wouldn't have the LVS problems...

I'm not entirely sure what you mean though - maybe a picture of an example would help? (use the Options tab to upload a picture when replying).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 9:28 AM

• pham777
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 17
    • Points 295

Hi Andrew,

I am using Virtuoso XL, and I don't know the easy way to find floating vias in layout as you said. Let me explain the problem:

the sub block A is done by someone else, it is drc/lvs cleaned but it has some floating vias sitting alone somewhere in the block.

I am doing lvs on the top level which has A and B sub blocks( B also drc/lvs cleaned). Somehow, The floating vias in A short out two nets in B, and it took me a while to find out.

Another similar problem, both A and B are drc/lvs cleaned  and they have psub2 layer cover it. But psub2 layer not 100% fully cover the block A ( it intersect one nmos transistor for example), as a result when I run lvs on the top level, I have ground lvs error.

It would be helpful if I have a skill code to find

1) Floating vias in layout

2) The intersection between two layer shape in layout, for example psub2 and pplus

regards,

ha

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 9:54 AM

• theopaone
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Cedar Park, TX
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,105

Both of these checks would be better done by a DRC but here is how you would do it in SKILL:

1. Floating vias

In your cellView you would find all the via placements.
    For each placement use dbGetTrueOverlaps on each routing in the via using the via bounding box. You would search 32 levels.
    If the only shape returned by dbGetTrueOverlaps is in the via, you have a via that is floating on that layer. If running dbGetTrueOverlaps on both layers results only in the shapes in the via, you have a floating via.

2. Layer Intersection

On the whole cellView use dbGetTrueOverlaps to find all the shapes on each of your layers.
    The dbLayer functions only work with shapes in the current cellView. The dbGetTrueOverlaps return value include hierarchical shapes which you have to copy into the current cellView while transforming the points based on the origin/rotation of the hierarchical instances. I would use a scratch cell so I am not messing with the data in my design. You have to copy all the shapes, not just the hierarchical ones. dbCopyFig supports copying to a different cellView while applyinig a transform (origin/orientation).
    Use dbLayerAnd on the shapes, ANDing between the two layers.
    Generate markers based on the results of the AND in your design cellView to show the error.

dbGetTrueOverlaps is very powerful and you should get familiar with that function.

Ted

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 2:05 PM

• pham777
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 17
    • Points 295

Hi Ted,

If floating vias are just big enough, drc can not catch them. DRC also don't do anything with PSUB2 layer

I am a layout guy, don't know much about writing SKILL. Could you be more specific about using dbGetTrueOverlaps in a procedure

format.

Thanks a lot,

ha

• Wed, Mar 6 2013 3:39 PM

• theopaone
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Cedar Park, TX
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,105

You would have to have someone write a specific DRC deck to find the floating vias and look for the PSUB2 layer problem. These are checks that you should request from your CAD support.

Sorry, I don't have access to write and test SKILL for outside customers, everything I write is owned by my clients. There are some other discussions on using dbGetTrueOverlaps with examples on this forum. You might also contact Cadence support because they have examples. You could also ask your CAD support to create the procedure.

Ted

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by pham777 at 05 Mar 2013 11:48 AM. Topic has 5 replies.