Home > Community > Forums > PCB SKILL > Placing the padstacks as per the pin location entered in Text file

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Placing the padstacks as per the pin location entered in Text file 

Last post Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:19 AM by Arun Koyyan. 8 replies.
Started by Arun Koyyan 28 Feb 2013 10:28 PM. Topic has 8 replies and 1538 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Feb 28 2013 10:28 PM

Placing the padstacks as per the pin location entered in Text file Reply

Hi All,

I have to create a footprint for a part for which the datasheet is given limited details. I have the X and Y co-ordinates for all the pads given in the datasheet. So I do have to place all the pads one by one taking X, Y co-ordinate from the datasheet. It consumes most of my time if the pin count is more than 50.

So, is it possible to import any text file to allegro in which all the pin location is provided to place all the pins in one shot? And how to map the padstack in this case?

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks & Regards

Arun 

• Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Mar 1 2013 1:28 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170
    Re: Placing the padstacks as per the pin location entered in Text file Reply
    Certainly "A" way to do this is to record a script and then modify it for the actual locations. File>Script, give it a name and Record, use Layout Pins, pick you Padstack, place a couple of pins, right-click>Done, then File Script, Stop. You will have a script named <your script name>.scr in the current PCB Editor directory. Open this with a text editor, you will see the "pick" commands that placed the pins at the X/Y locations, add more "pick commands" for your required pin locations and save the modified script, Start a new Symbol and File>Script, locate the script and Run. You might want to try this with a few added picks before going for hundreds! Also note that the Picks do not reference the grid at all They do use the Units, so best not change them from the units the script was recorded for!
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Mar 1 2013 3:38 AM

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Unfortunately this step is not working for me. I have some doubts actually:-

1. Do I need to selct the padstack before running the script?

2. Do I need to delete the "pick rel grid" command got generated in the Text file?

Regards

Arun 

• Fri, Mar 1 2013 3:58 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170

NO, you don't need to pick the padstack. When you recorded the script, you recorded the entire process to place two pins with the required padstack from the Padstack list, in the required location(s). You did do that? Maybe not...

Of course, the drawing parameters will need to be set to allow the pin parameters you need..

Maybe placing 500 pins manually would be a better way?

setwindow pcb
    trapsize 249
    generaledit
    trapsize 314
    add pin
    setwindow form.mini
    FORM mini pad_browse 
    fillin "Pad100cir62d"
    setwindow pcb
    pick 0 0
    pick 200 100
    pick 400 200
    prepopup 1126.3 1100.4
    done

• Fri, Mar 1 2013 4:38 AM

Hi,

Thanks a lot..

It is working for me now..:)

great relax... :)

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Regards

Arun 

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Mar 1 2013 8:02 AM

• djhutchi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 14 2008
    • Hillsboro, OR
    • Posts 70
    • Points 870
    RE: Placing the padstacks as per the pin location entered in Text file Reply
    SPB 16.6 has the ability to import & export pin location data to a csv file
  • Mon, Mar 11 2013 2:42 AM

Re: RE: Placing the padstacks as per the pin location entered in Text file Reply

Hi,

I have one more continues task to create some shapes in Footprint. The reference I have is the component size. that is ASSEMBLY_TOP.

And I have to add 3 shapes to this footprint.

1. Package Geometry/Display Top (Expand ASSEMBLY_TOP to 375 um)

2. Package Geometry/DFA_Bound top (Expand ASSEMBLY_TOP to 75 um)

3. Package Geometry/Place bound top (Same as ASSEMBLY_TOP)

I have tried this recording the Z-Copy option. Unfortunately it is not working since it is getting stuck during Pick command.

Can anyone help me out? 

• Tue, Mar 12 2013 5:49 AM

• Ejlersen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 28 2008
    • Aalborg, Copenhagen
    • Posts 569
    • Points 10,080
    Re: RE: Placing the padstacks as per the pin location entered in Text file Reply
    Hi

Instead of using scripts I would recommend using the builtin skill commands.

I assume you have the dbid of the assembly_top and hence the polygon forming this outline, in that case simply use axlPolyExpand to do the operation.

Best regards
    Ole
    Best regards Ole
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I really did not understand what you said. Could you please tell me in detail?

Thanks & Regards

Arun 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Arun Koyyan at 28 Feb 2013 10:28 PM. Topic has 8 replies.