Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Routing Multiple Traces at the same time in Allegro is it possible ?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Routing Multiple Traces at the same time in Allegro is it possible ? 

Last post Sat, Feb 23 2013 3:41 PM by ScottCad. 2 replies.
Started by ScottCad 22 Feb 2013 09:08 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 857 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Feb 22 2013 9:08 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 25 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 193
    • Points 3,185
    Routing Multiple Traces at the same time in Allegro is it possible ? Reply

Hi guys, In allegro pcb is it possible to route manually multiple nets at the same time. Like for example I select a couple of pins on a chip and then just take off routing in those nets. I know I can lay down multiple traces and then connect them but that seems like a waste of time, wondering if there is another way similar to how it is done in Specctra.

Thanks Scott.

• Post Points: 20
  • Sat, Feb 23 2013 4:32 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,446
    • Points 24,610
    Re: Routing Multiple Traces at the same time in Allegro is it possible ? Reply
    Yup, window the pins / rats, hover the mouse over a selected item, right-click>Add Connect. Works in all levels of PCB Editor
    • Post Points: 20
  • Sat, Feb 23 2013 3:41 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 25 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 193
    • Points 3,185
    Re: Routing Multiple Traces at the same time in Allegro is it possible ? Reply

Hi OM, thanks for the tip.

Seems to work ok but it is no-where near as fluid as how it is done over in Specctra. What I found is that as you indicated I window the pins in etch-edit mode so they get selected but if I right click the mouse I dont get the add a connect window. I have to move the mouse back over one of the selected pins and then the RMB menu has the selection for add a connect.. Seems kind of wierd that the software does not assume since you selected 4 pins that your intent would not be to route them in as a first order of business.

Gathering the routes coming off the pin is kind of strange too,

There was also something really wierd, have you come across this, or there may be a better way for me to do it. Suppose you have 4 vias or pins of a bga arranged like a square. I window the pins Hover over one of them and then RMB add a connect. Allegro seems to have a horrible time trying to route or escape from the pins so that 4 traces can connect all at the same time. In particular if it is like this.

X    X

X    X 

So the X are the 4 pins with nets, I window them RMB add a connect. Have bubble and gridless turned on, DRC clearence is good yet it just seems to get bogged down escaping the route from the inner pins if I am routing in any direction outward.

I was trying to not use Speectra for manual routing and instead just use Allegro for everything, but it is killing me... Would love to know what I am doing wrong..

Thanks for your help at that end.

Scott 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ScottCad at 22 Feb 2013 09:08 PM. Topic has 2 replies.