Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > How to keep some instances un-movable (fixed position) in virtuso

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to keep some instances un-movable (fixed position) in virtuso 

Last post Sat, Feb 16 2013 11:27 AM by RFStuff. 9 replies.
Started by RFStuff 15 Feb 2013 02:15 AM. Topic has 9 replies and 1255 views
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 2:15 AM

• RFStuff
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 5 2013
    • Posts 245
    • Points 4,340
    How to keep some instances un-movable (fixed position) in virtuso Reply

Dear All,

I think one definitely would have faced this problem while integratiing many instances/blocks in the top level layout in Virtuso.

The problem I am facing is as follows:-

In the top level of the layout, I have to integrate many instances of layout blocks.

While connecting two blocks ( these two blocks are inside a bigger blocks (like PAD array) or may be crossing over another small block) , some how some  the other blocksare getting moved.

Ideally like to keep the positions of other instances ( let's say A, B, C) fixed, while editing the desired instances ( let's say E,F)  as movable.

I tried in LSW. I dehighlighted the 'inst'. In that process, all the instances are becoming un-movable. Even if you bring a VIA , you can't move it around.

Could anybody please tell what I should do thing smoothly.

Kind Regards,

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 3:54 AM

Re: How to keep some instances un-movable (fixed position) in virtuso Reply

In IC615 (you didn't say which version you are using, and it's rather useful to know...) you can use Edit->Select->Set Selection Protection to "protect" a number of shapes/instances. This will make those objects unselectable (you can highlight them from the same menu, or temporarily override the protection, or remove the protection). That means you won't be able to accidentally select them and hence not be able to move them.

In earlier releases, you can use my SKILL code as described in this article on Cadence Online Support to do the same thing.

If you're using VLS XL you can also use the constraint manager to add a "locked" constraint on the instance to stop you being able to move it when in Constraint Aware Editing mode. Could also use a "fixed" constraint.

In IC5141 it's also possible using Virtuoso Layout XL - you have to use Tools->Constraint Manager in the CIW, and then you can add a "fixed" constraint for some instance. You have to turn on "Constraint Assisted Move and Stretch" in the Layout XL Options form too.

Regards,

Andrew

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 9:42 AM

• RFStuff
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 245
    • Points 4,340

Dear Andrew,

Thanks alot for your reply.

I am using IC5141. I tried Tool ->Constraint Manager in the CIW.

But couldn't figure out how to 1) Select a instance to be added to the manager

2) To make the instance Fixed

Could you please tell how it can be done.

Kind Regards,

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 10:16 AM

When I tried this earlier, I had the layout XL window open at the same time and had the instance selected when I added the constraint. Did you try that? (I'm answering from a handheld device so I can't check)

Also, the article I referenced should also work in IC5141.

Regards,
    Andrew
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 10:41 AM

• RFStuff
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 245
    • Points 4,340

Dear Andrew,

I also tried with your SKILL code.

Itis working fine.

But,  I  protected  A,B,C

Then  I want to unprtect only C , then what I should do.

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 10:46 AM

• RFStuff
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 245
    • Points 4,340

Dear Andrew,

I got. I think I should have selected Create, Then add the instances in the 'Fixed" option.

With that, I am able to keep them fixed in the layout but they are selectable unlike your SKILL code.

Kind Regards,

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 12:48 PM

If using my SKILL code, you have two choices:

1. Use CCSprotect->selectProtected() , then deselect those you want to keep protected, and then CCSprotect->unprotectSelected()
    2. Use CCSprotect->setOption('protectMode nil) then select the one you want, do CCSprotect->unprotectSelected(), and CCSprotect->setOption('protectMode t) to turn protection back on again.

Obviously this tends to be easier if you have things defined on bindkeys. You could also define a bindkey to be:

CCSprotect->setOption('protectMode !(CCSprotect->getOption('protectMode)))

which will toggle protect mode on or off each time you press it.

In the IC615 implementation, there's the option to unprotect an object post-selection, so you can click on it regardless of whether it is selectable (I didn't add that in my code, but it wouldn't be too difficult with an enterFunction).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 6:43 AM

• RFStuff
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 245
    • Points 4,340

Dear Andrew,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I like to do some modification to your skill code.

But the "SKILL" is a new language to me.

I want to know the meaning of each standard function present in thye code.

I went through  "Cadence Analog Design Environment SKILL Language Reference", but I could not find the many functions present in your code.

Could you please point to some document/source from where I can get the meaning of all the STANDARD functions you have written in the code.

Kind Regards,

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 9:33 AM

Given that this code is for the layout editor, it's hardly surprising that nothing is covered in the Cadence Analog Design Environment SKILL Language Reference.

There are functions from three groups in this code:

• Cadence SKILL Language Reference (worth reading the User Guide too). The code is written using the SKILL++ lexical scoping capabilities, which provides the ability to create local functions - in this case it's written as a package which exports a number of functions, whilst keeping some functions and some data private.
    • Virtuoso Design Environment SKILL Reference (for the ge (Graphics Editor) and db (Database) functions used in the code)
    • Virtuoso Layout Suite SKILL Reference (this is in fact just for the leRegUserObjectSelectionFilter function)

The code is written using LISP style (SKILL also allows you to use a C-style which is probably more common, but I tend to write most of my code using LISP style; the language is really a LISP flavour underneath, but it makes no difference to efficiency or speed which style you choose).

Hope that helps!

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 11:27 AM

• RFStuff
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Posts 245
    • Points 4,340

Dear Andrew,

Sorry, I think I have searched  the functions in the wrong reference.

Thanks a lot. I will dig into the documents to understand the functions.

Kind Regards,

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by RFStuff at 15 Feb 2013 02:15 AM. Topic has 9 replies.