Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Virtuoso layout: How to change many shapes from one layer to another at once?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Virtuoso layout: How to change many shapes from one layer to another at once? 

Last post Mon, Mar 11 2013 6:45 AM by Andrew Beckett. 8 replies.
Started by bjbit 14 Feb 2013 12:11 PM. Topic has 8 replies and 2294 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Feb 14 2013 12:11 PM

• bjbit
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2012
    • Posts 65
    • Points 1,120
    Virtuoso layout: How to change many shapes from one layer to another at once? Reply

Hi all,

This may be a dumb question. But for example: how can I change hundreds of shapes in Metal1 to Metal2 in an easy way? I am using IC61. Thanks in advance.

Best regards, 

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Feb 15 2013 4:00 AM

Re: Virtuoso layout: How to change many shapes from one layer to another at once? Reply

If you have them selected, you can use Edit Properties, hit the common button, and change the layer in the cyclic field. Or you could use the property assistant (Window->Assistants->Property Editor), change the top left cyclic to All, and then next to the + for Layer click where it says Metal1 drawing, and then you can change on the drop-down cyclic field to Metal2 drawing.

Or you could use Tools->Find/Replace.

Or you could see this post

Kind Regards,

Andrew

• Fri, Feb 15 2013 4:11 PM

• bjbit
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 65
    • Points 1,120
    Re: Virtuoso layout: How to change many shapes from one layer to another at once? Reply

Hi Andrew,

Thanks a lot for your help. The property assistant is very useful. If you don't mind, may I ask another question?

I am working on IBM_7RF technology. Now I have to change the top metal layer of my design from ML to AM. That causes the issue that I have to reinstall another PDK and create another workspace for the new top metal layer option, which basically means a new technology version. What I do is copy my design library folder into the new workspace and re-define cds.lib, and then change metal layer of the shapes. When this is done, I tried to test Assura DRC and LVS. Both give errors about "failed on building up VDB". Is the reason from compatibility of my design, or from the Assura itself? I am using IC614 with Assura41. Thanks again for your time.

Best regards,

bjbit 

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 5:07 AM

bjbit,

Hard to be sure whether it's a setup or a tool issue (it's unlikely to be due to the change in the design itself though). Please post the precise (and complete) error message (maybe you could also try using the latest hotfix of ASSURA41?)

Regards,

Andrew

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 7:50 AM

• bjbit
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 65
    • Points 1,120

Hi Andrew,

THe error message of DRC is 

ERROR (AVVSI-10001): Input layout is incomplete. If you still want to continue the run, remove undefined placements from the layout or set '?errorOnMissingMaster nil' option in the RSF-file. (The default value of parameter '?errorOnMissingMaster' is 't'.)

*WARNING* Error while building the VDB

*WARNING* Failed to build VDB. Cannot submit DRC Run.

However I don't really find any undefined shapes or instances. If I run DRC again, Cadence will crash. Here I attach the crash report log. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

bjbit 

• Sat, Feb 16 2013 8:47 AM

It does sound as if there is a cell missing in the design, and I'm surprised it doesn't tell you what it is earlier in the log file (Assura's log file).

If you can't locate it, I suggest contacting customer support at http://support.cadence.com so we can take a proper look at your data.

Kind Regards,
    Andrew
    • Post Points: 35
  • Sat, Feb 16 2013 9:58 PM

• bjbit
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 65
    • Points 1,120

Hi Andrew,

Finally I found the placement that caused errors. Now DRC and LVS works. Thanks a lot for your kind helps.

Best regards,

bjbit 

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 1:13 PM

• bjbit
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 65
    • Points 1,120

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to bother you again. But I have a new following problem when DRC the shapes in top metal layer AM. Sometimes the DRC run just stay there for hours without finishing or errors. Log file shows that DRC stays at this line:

Executing: am_to_check = geomGetEdge(am coincident am_ft_not_low_ind)

It seems DRC is checking AM shape edge but I am not sure about its exact meaning. Do you have any ideas? Thanks a lot for your time.

Best regards,

bjbit 

• Mon, Mar 11 2013 6:45 AM

Hi bjbit,

Presumably the am_ft_not_low_ind is some derived shape (you'll have to see how it is being produced), and am is the original top layer metal. There's a good description of what the geomGetEdge command does with the coincident operator in the Assura documentation (in $ASSURAHOME/doc/assuracommandref.pdf) - there's a picture explaining it very clearly.

Without knowing the volume of data on each of the source layers in the command, it's hard to know why it's being so slow.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by bjbit at 14 Feb 2013 12:11 PM. Topic has 8 replies.