Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Assigning a Net Name to a Layer for LVS/RCX

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Assigning a Net Name to a Layer for LVS/RCX 

Last post Fri, Feb 8 2013 12:28 PM by Andrew Beckett. 7 replies.
Started by LanceT 08 Feb 2013 09:48 AM. Topic has 7 replies and 964 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Feb 8 2013 9:48 AM

• LanceT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 8 2013
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105
    Assigning a Net Name to a Layer for LVS/RCX Reply

Does anyone know of a way to assign a specific net name to a layer for use in LVS/RCX?  We are using a process where the bottom layer of the design will be electrically connected to a signal "GND_SUB" and I want to be able to assign that label without having to create a physical connection to it.  I can create bogus connectivity for that layer just so that it is a "connected" layer that doesn't really connect to anything in the layout but is there a way to assign a specific net name to that layer?

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Feb 8 2013 9:52 AM

Re: Assigning a Net Name to a Layer for LVS/RCX Reply

Which tools are you using for LVS and RCX?

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 9:56 AM

• LanceT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

Yeah, I realized after I posted this that I probably should have mentioned that.  We are using Assura for both LVS and RCX.  Typically, we run from the GUI in icfb.

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:08 AM

If there's no physical connection, what are you expecting to see connected to the node? Is it parasitic capacitances from other layers to this substrate? If so, probably what you want is the Ref Node on the Extraction tab in the Assura RCX form. Any decoupled capacitors (or capacitances to "ground") will be connected to this node.

It's not that clear to me quite what you're trying to do.

Otherwise if it's a physical shape in the layout, do you need to just label it? (in which case that sounds like a "physical connection" to me, so I'm not sure that's what you're after).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:16 AM

• LanceT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

For RCX, being able to specify the substrate as the Ref Node is certainly part of it and I do have it set up to do that.  What I am looking for is a way to define a label for that node without creating a physical label in the layout.  That is what we are currently doing - we have to add a goofy bogus connection in order to assign the net "GND_SUB" to the substrate.  We would like to be able to have Assura LVS understand that the substrate layer will always be connected to net "GND_SUB" without having to create any sort of physical connection or even a label to it in the layout.

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:37 AM

Maybe you could use the ?pinTextFile option in avParameters to text the substrate layer? See the Assura documentation for more details.

Andrew.

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:54 AM

• LanceT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

Thanks for your help Andrew!  I think I can use this.  The only slight limitation is that I need to specify X,Y coordinates (ideally, I would just like the layer to be labeled regardless of its location), but I think we can probably make an assumption that the origin will probably be contained within the extent of the design (since substrate is defined everywhere).  If you know how to do this (label a layer without specifying coordinates) off the top of your head, please let me know.  Otherwise, no worries - I think this will work.

Thanks again for all your help!

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 12:28 PM

Not off the top of my head - it might be possible but it might need something in the rule file rather than an RSF option (this is a wild guess without consulting the docs)

Andrew
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by LanceT at 08 Feb 2013 09:48 AM. Topic has 7 replies.