Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Layout cell checked out warnings because of rulers.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Layout cell checked out warnings because of rulers. 

Last post Fri, Feb 8 2013 7:41 AM by Andrew Beckett. 4 replies.
Started by fun4skilled 06 Feb 2013 03:10 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 778 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Feb 6 2013 3:09 PM

Cell modified Reply

Few of the cells I opened in read mode  and when drawn a ruler are thought to be checked out through design sync. But actually I did not make any changes to the layout cell. Even after I open up the cell and clear rulers, it keeps me giving that warning when ever I close the data or try to do a stream out. Is this a bug? 

I use IC6.1.5. I would appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks

Sandeep.

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Feb 6 2013 3:10 PM

Layout cell checked out warnings because of rulers. Reply

Few of the cells I opened in read mode  and when drawn a ruler are thought to be checked out through design sync. But actually I did not make any changes to the layout cell. Even after I open up the cell and clear rulers(I made the ruler not selectable during the setup), it keeps me giving that warning when ever I close the data or try to do a stream out. Is this a bug? 

I use IC6.1.5. I would appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks

Sandeep.

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Feb 7 2013 3:59 AM

Re: Layout cell checked out warnings because of rulers. Reply

Sandeep,

It's not really a bug - more of a "feature". OpenAccess allows readonly cellViews to be modified in memory only (this is akin to the "scratch" mode that existed in CDB). The Create Ruler command takes advantage of this by storing rulers as a marker object in the database - this has benefit in that it allows you to have persistent rulers saved from one session to the next, to treat rulers as editable objects - so they can be stretched and so on, and other benefits. There's an option on the Editor Options to control whether rulers get saved (it deletes them at save time), but for readonly cellViews it modifies the database in memory to add the ruler marker objects. This is nothing to do with whether they are selectable or not.

When you stream out, it detects any cellViews which have been modified but not saved. Unfortunately it's not filtering out any cellViews which are readonly - so still prompts you to ask if you want to save them (if  you try to save them, it will fail because the cellView is readonly - you'd have to make it editable which would then force a design management check out).

So it doesn't think they are checked out - it just notices that they have been saved.

One could argue either way as to whether it should prompt you to save readonly cellViews - if you don't like this behaviour, please contact customer support - maybe we can alter it or provide an option as to whether it prompts you or not.

Oh, and by the way, I merged your two separate questions on this into a single thread.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Feb 7 2013 10:55 AM

Andreq,

Thanks for the explanation. We recently migrated from IC 5 to IC6. But I never noticed thsi in IC5. Is this a new feature with open access?

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 7:41 AM

Rulers as objects in the database are new in IC614 (I think that's when they appeared). Before that they were just display graphics and so were not savable in the database.

Being able to edit readonly cellViews in memory (as opposed to having to use "scratch" mode) is a change as a result of the move to OpenAccess.

So it's a combination of the two things which explains why you didn't see this in IC5, but do in IC6 (specifically IC614 onwards)

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by fun4skilled at 06 Feb 2013 03:10 PM. Topic has 4 replies.