Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > strange error message in running adexl

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

strange error message in running adexl 

Last post Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:39 AM by Andrew Beckett. 8 replies.
Started by Joe Black 04 Feb 2013 10:16 PM. Topic has 8 replies and 1301 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Feb 4 2013 10:16 PM

• Joe Black
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 30 2012
    • Posts 12
    • Points 195
    strange error message in running adexl Reply
     Here is the msg found in the log file (NOT spectre.out under psf. psf direcotry is empty actually).

Error* Error during netlisting of design for the point ID (0 1).
    \e ("ls" 0 t nil ("*Error* ls: too many arguments (0 expected, 1 given)" ("/prj/qct/scratch/sandiego/quboz/cadence_test/adexl_hackNetlist/adexl_new/results/data/Interactive.0")))
    \e

it ran through with ADEL.

My cadence version is IC615_isr12

Thanks,

Joe
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Feb 5 2013 1:37 AM

Re: strange error message in running adexl Reply

Joe,

Sounds strange.  In the CIW can you type:

ls()

arglist('ls)

and see what it says? My guess is that you have something in your environment which has redefined the function ls() which is part of the ADE environment.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:22 AM

• Joe Black
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 195
    Hi, Andrew,

Cadence returned 0 for ls, and nil for arglist(‘ls)

I did redefine the ls function, but it was working fine for a long time. Here is how I redefine it.

procedure( ls()

if(isFile("/pkg/gnu/bin/ls") then

system("/pkg/gnu/bin/ls --color -al")

else

system("ls --color -al")

)

)

And the same adexl was working couple of days ago, but told me this ls error yesterday.

Thanks,

Joe

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:33 AM

Joe,

Well, you're redefining a Cadence private function, with a function with the same name which doesn't accept the same arguments, and doesn't return the same value.

Can you try removing your customization and seeing if that makes a difference? I don't know whether maybe you are either using a different version, or using some different functionality - maybe something specific inside ADE XL is using this internal "ls" function (it was added many years ago by the ADE team, so it's not surprising that somewhere in the code it gets used).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:53 AM

• Joe Black
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 195

Andrew,

my ls function was working, and printed out one file per line with color information.

I don't what causes it stop working.

the strange thing is 

adexl didn't complain it for a long time,  with many cadence versions i have used.

then for the current cadence version, it didn't complain either for many months, then it started complain couple days ago.

then i tried a even newer version of cadence (ic615_isr15), no complain either.

btw, after I rename the ls to something else and restart cadecne with current version (isr12), adexl runs now.

but I'd like to know where the problem is, so I can keep using my colored ls function.

thanks,

Joe

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 12:25 PM

Joe,

I already explained why this is failing, but maybe I wasn't clear enough so let me try again.

Cadence has a function called "ls" which has been defined for many years, although is private (ie we haven't documented it and so you should not use it in your code). It accepts either no arguments or one argument and returns a list of files in the working or specified directory.

Somewhere in the ADE code it is using this function (which is fair enough, as it is one of our functions), and is calling it with a single argument.

Now, you've replaced our private function with your own with the same name, and it doesn't accept an optional argument, nor does it return the list of files in the directory (it will print the working directory contents in the terminal window).

So when our code calls ls, it breaks, because it doesn't behave as the code expects.

Now I don't know why it suddenly stopped working in ADE XL but I can imagine that maybe you used a different calculator function, or you used some different part of the functionality in ADE XL, or it loaded your modified function from the .cdsinit which it hadn't done before. But regardless of this, you're asking for trouble redefining our functions, especially if they have different semantics from the original.

We generally advise that customer SKILL code should define functions which have a prefix, where that prefix begins with an uppercase letter, since Cadence functions either don't have a prefix or have a lowercase prefix (in general).

So if you called your function LS you'd be ok...

Regards,
    Andrew
    • Post Points: 35
  • Sun, Feb 10 2013 10:49 PM

• Joe Black
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 195

Thanks. that is super clear, :)

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Feb 11 2013 12:06 AM

• Joe Black
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 195

Hi,  Andew,

now, without the ls function, i have new error in the same bench, here is the message,

\ e *Error* Error during netlisting of design for the point ID (4 2).
    \e ("error" 1 t nil ("*Error* Netlist directory \"/................/results/data/Interactive.4/2/sdm_top/netlist\" does not exist"))
    \e
    \e
    \o
    \o *Error*   Error ID  = 5025
    \o *Error*   Error Msg = Error while preparing to run the simulation.

Joe.

• Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:39 AM

Joe,

Not sure why that would happen - maybe something earlier in the Job log might give a clue? Perhaps it ran out of disk space/quota?

I suggest you contact customer support.

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Joe Black at 04 Feb 2013 10:16 PM. Topic has 8 replies.