Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > how to use the floorplanning options in encounter efficiently

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

how to use the floorplanning options in encounter efficiently 

Last post Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:38 PM by skmhs PD. 2 replies.
Started by gops 28 Jan 2013 09:00 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 1222 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:00 AM

• gops
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 24 2008
    • Trivandrum, Kerala
    • Posts 118
    • Points 2,505
    how to use the floorplanning options in encounter efficiently Reply
    There are multiple options in encounter to floorplan. I'm confused how to use them efficiently. Below are the options I tried and I still couldn't converge on my setup times. My design has got more than 100 macros and lot of guides. I have tired the following options to get best result. Can anyone throw some Idea on how to use the floorplanning options efficiently. First I tried runN2Nopt command after design read in. Then I tired the following options separately.

1. I tired automatic floorplan with multiplan option. Then I select for the best rank. Still some of the paths are getting violated. So I tired createInstance group for the blocks and Still I couldn't get a better result.
    2. I tried Plandesign option with default setting. The result is not much of a variant from the above.
    3. I created a seed file with the critical soft blocks ( I have selected the blocks deep down the hiererachy where the paths seems critical) as seeds. then I selected the number of seeds as 30 and give selectd the SDP option. My timing got worse.

Can some one guide me how I shouls approch the floorplan problem in an efficient way to  meet the timing with minimum number of buffer added.

How can i choose the seeds efficiently. How is seed selection going to affect my floorplan. Should I really need to specify seed myself or allow tool to take the seed by itself?
    • Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Feb 27 2013 8:03 AM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 693
    • Points 14,295
    Re: how to use the floorplanning options in encounter efficiently Reply
    it sounds like you're trying all the right things. have you used Global Timing Debug to examine your setup violations to see what is causing them?
    • Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:38 PM

• skmhs PD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 20 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30
    Re: how to use the floorplanning options in encounter efficiently Reply
    If your sdc is problematic or the design itself is impossible, you'd never meet timing no matter how you do FP. Timing issues may have nothing to do with FP. Sanity check your sdc first.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by gops at 28 Jan 2013 09:00 AM. Topic has 2 replies.