Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > How to Create Custom holes in PCB Board design

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to Create Custom holes in PCB Board design 

Last post Fri, Feb 8 2013 5:24 AM by padmaster. 11 replies.
Started by Gopintj1 23 Jan 2013 04:22 AM. Topic has 11 replies and 2241 views
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:22 AM

• Gopintj1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 25 2012
    • Posts 8
    • Points 220
    How to Create Custom holes in PCB Board design Reply

Hi, I have been developing a simple PCB board which contains a PIR sensor, an LDR and some other discrete components along with MSP430G2231. I have done outlines for my board according to its dimension. Now, i would like to cut some part in middle of the board. Is it possible to do this, cos, i have seen some board in which part in middle of the board is cut. 

Can anyone help me with this?

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:18 AM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800
    Re: How to Create Custom holes in PCB Board design Reply

Good morning,

I use the board geometry/assembly layer to show the outline of the board panels along with areas to be routed out of the board.  For example I have a thermistor on the board and do not want any heat on the board getting to the thermistor so in the mentioned layer I give x,y cords for the fabrication house to route out certain areas.

Have a good day, Ken Capture 16.5 S022, Layout 16.2.0p001, PCB Editor 16.5 S025
    • Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:40 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,211
    • Points 19,695

An alternative method is to just draw it on Board Geometry  / Outline layer. You can include fillets or chamfers on the corners using Manufacture - Drafting - Fillet. You can use zcopy to add a route keepout,

You can also output this info as a ncroute file for the manufacturer. Take a look at :- http://www.parallel-systems.co.uk/images/PDF/slots_pcb_editor.pdf for more details.

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 3:33 AM

• Gopintj1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 220

Ya, i use Board Geometry / Outline option to represent outline of my board as well as the area needed to be cut.

My doubt is, will there be any confusion between my board outline and the unwanted area to be cut.? Cos, Both the things are mentioned using Board Geometry / Outline. 

Do i need to mention this to Fabrication house?

• Fri, Jan 25 2013 5:42 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 101
    • Points 4,995

In the case when there is an irregular cutout inside of the Board Outline, which cannot be represented by a slotted padstack, I would define the cutout with lines on Board Geometry / Outline.  On the fabrication drawing, I would add large text inside of the cutout indicating that it is a cutout area. "CUTOUT AREA"   Almost all Fabrication houses will review the fabrication drawing in the early stages of fabrication and it would be clear at that point that there is a cutout.

I would also consider generating a NC Route file using a line on Board Geometry / Ncroute_Path and output the route file using Manufacturing > NC > NC Route... (Process is described in the PDF that Steve provided)

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone

• Fri, Jan 25 2013 10:52 AM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800

I should also mention I still use board geometry/outline to show the outline of the board for layout of the board, that way I can turn off the board geometry/assembly layer to unclutter the screen. 

I show all the cutouts, scoring, panel layout and the outline on the board geometry/assembly.  One more note...the board house we use usually used a 3/32 router bit, so I usually draw the routes using a line width of 94mils and give them x,y cords.  This way it is a visual view of what they will be routing.

Have a great weekend,

Ken

Have a good day, Ken Capture 16.5 S022, Layout 16.2.0p001, PCB Editor 16.5 S025
  • Mon, Jan 28 2013 10:52 PM

• Gopintj1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 220
    Thanks for your information, friends. I have come across one more issue. Initially i created foot print for LM358. I have given Blue color to all the SMD pads. Now, my first pin's pad is shown dissimilar. My first pin is displayed with some sort of cross lines embedded inside the pads. Is this a big issue. Is it possible to overcome this problem?
  • Tue, Jan 29 2013 4:01 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,211
    • Points 19,695

It might be that you are hovered over Pin1 and it highlights to show you that you are hovered over it or you may have applied a permanent highlight to it. Try using Display - dehighlight (make sure Pins, nets are selected in the find filter) and then click the pin with the left mouse button.

• Thu, Jan 31 2013 9:10 PM

• Gopintj1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 220

I tried to dehighlight the pin, but it dint work. Could you please explain what does "hovered over Pin" means? And how to eliminate it.

• Fri, Feb 1 2013 6:26 AM

• padmaster
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 2 2009
    • Huntsville, AL
    • Posts 60
    • Points 825

"hover over" - When you move your cursor over an object it may temporarily highlight depending on what objects you have turned on in the find filter.

• Thu, Feb 7 2013 8:15 PM

• Gopintj1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 220
    Dynamic shapes out of date: 4 out of 4
      Current fill mode         : SMOOTH

<<<  ETCH  >>>

Layer = BOTTOM
           State: No Etch      Point on shape: (212.00 382.76)  Net: Not on a Net
           State: No Etch      Point on shape: (211.98 382.95)  Net: Dummy Net
           State: No Etch      Point on shape: (211.48 383.23)  Net: Not on a Net
           State: No Etch      Point on shape: (198.40 388.80)  Net: UNNAMED_1_0805CAPACITOR_C1_2

I got this message while i create art file of my board. I zoomed into these mentioend locations. But, i couldnt see any thing. I use Copper Pour on both Top and Bottom Layers. How to solve this problem?
  • Fri, Feb 8 2013 5:24 AM

• padmaster
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 2 2009
    • Huntsville, AL
    • Posts 60
    • Points 825

You should create a new thread for your problem. It has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Gopintj1 at 23 Jan 2013 04:22 AM. Topic has 11 replies.