Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > Updating CIW and layouts while script is running

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Updating CIW and layouts while script is running 

Last post Fri, Jan 18 2013 10:10 AM by dmay. 5 replies.
Started by thomas1000 17 Jan 2013 04:22 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 877 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 4:22 PM

Updating CIW and layouts while script is running Reply

I have a lengthy SKILL script on a layout and it would be helpful to be able to see progress as it occurs.  Is there a way to have the layout update at selected points in the script?

Also, the CIW is updating but doesn't make its first update visible until part way through the script after several printf statements have executed.  Is there a way to force an update to the CIW as printf statements are executed?

Having this capability would help with the user interface so that users can plan their activities better and not be confused by what might look like a frozen script.

Thanks.

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:33 AM

• berndfi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2012
    • Neubiberg, Bavaria
    • Posts 67
    • Points 1,255
    Re: Updating CIW and layouts while script is running Reply

Maybe 'hiRedraw' can do the layout window update for you.

I did not understand exactly what update progess you want to be shown in the CIW.

Bernd

• Fri, Jan 18 2013 3:54 AM

Maybe hiFlush is what you want? Alternatively use  hiDisplayProgressBox() or hiSetProgressBar() - and related functions - to get some visual feedback of progress.

Andrew.

• Fri, Jan 18 2013 9:47 AM

Thanks guys for your suggestions, however, neither hiFlush or hiRedraw seemed to have any effect.  I placed them thruought the script and it still waits until about 3 out of 5 steps have completed before updating the CIW and the layout display doesn't update until the very end.  It is like SKILL just wants to run at full speed without updating the display or CIW until it reaches some point in execution and gets a microsecond to service system display tasks.  

In Visual Basic there is a doEvents command that forces servicing Windows commands - that would be nice to have in SKILL.

Maybe if I put some sleep commands in it will allow the display updates to occur.

I will try the progress bar ideas, although that will not be as good as if I could see the actual progress.

• Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Jan 18 2013 9:58 AM

One issue is that Virtuoso (and SKILL) are not multi-threaded. That said, potentially there might be the opportunity to do some kind of cooperative update - but the problem is that some of those events might require SKILL - and so if it is blocked at the time, they would fail.

So it's not an easy problem to solve. Making a large long-lived application thread-safe is far from trivial and will take some considerable time.

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Jan 18 2013 10:10 AM

• dmay
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 394
    • Points 7,420

I have a program, much like mark net, for tracing nets. I added a feature that would stop the program at a user defined interval (every 10 seconds, for example) which is useful when tracing large power supplies. Though it is not ideal, since it doesn't dynamically show the hilighting, it does allow us to see incremental highlights of the power rail and we can cancel the command if we have seen what we want without having to wait for it to complete. Basically the skill code pops open a dialog box and asks the user if they want to continue. If your program must always run to completion this may not be acceptable.

Derek

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by thomas1000 at 17 Jan 2013 04:22 PM. Topic has 5 replies.