Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Without opening Capture CIS, listing of symbol names in library?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Without opening Capture CIS, listing of symbol names in library? 

Last post Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:41 PM by Robert Finley. 2 replies.
Started by Robert Finley 14 Jan 2013 01:21 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 753 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jan 14 2013 1:21 PM

Without opening Capture CIS, listing of symbol names in library? Reply

Is there a utility or secret trick that accomplishes this?

Looking for a way to script the discovery of CIS parts that use invalid symbol names.

Happy to periodically dump the listing to a file and work off of an ascii file.

Thanks.

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 12:58 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,410
    • Points 24,070
    Re: Without opening Capture CIS, listing of symbol names in library? Reply
    If you run a TCL script it will need a Capture CIS license to get the DSN internals opened up to TCL. Depending upon on the exact details, you might be able to make use of a property dump, Tools>Export Properties, will get a tab delimited text file of design properties but you will need to run the tools to get it. This won't get you any of the CIS specifics like Variants and so on but you will be able to investigate the properties without the schematic open. If you need a more CIS specific approach, you will need to have something based upon the capCIS.tcl example in <install_dir>\tools\capture\tclscripts\capCustomSamples to get you the properties to a file to work on without the schematic open.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:41 PM

Re: Without opening Capture CIS, listing of symbol names in library? Reply

I find myself expecting Cadence to provide us with a directory function to deal with a binary library file that can be easily scripted and doesn't involve pointing and clicking. 

A company has more than 20,000 database parts in their library.  But, this library started in 1990.  Licensing isn't the issue.  Money isn't the issue. We don't have an easy way of figuring out what our problems are.

In a defense against burying our entire parts library in the backyard and starting over, I am seeking out ways to gauge its "accuracy" and prevent drift in the future. 

Thank you for the tip.  I somehow feared my Allegro-L license did not have TCL.  Now I know better.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Robert Finley at 14 Jan 2013 01:21 PM. Topic has 2 replies.