Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Allegro changing/editing footprints in the board editor on the fly. ? can it be done

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Allegro changing/editing footprints in the board editor on the fly. ? can it be done 

Last post Tue, Jan 8 2013 5:51 PM by ScottCad. 4 replies.
Started by ScottCad 05 Jan 2013 04:23 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 1371 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sat, Jan 5 2013 4:23 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 25 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 193
    • Points 3,185
    Allegro changing/editing footprints in the board editor on the fly. ? can it be done Reply

Hi guys and a happy new year. In the older layout product there was an option to "Allow Editing of Footprints" in the layout tool. With this option checked a user could have a footprint in Layout and then on the fly while routing a board move the positions of pads/silkscreen etc while still retaining net information from the corresponding symbol in capture.

Is there a way to do the same in "Allegro/Orcad PCB" ?

Or any possible work-arounds to accomplish moving pins in a packaged symbol when laying out a board.

Thanks Scott. 

• Post Points: 20
  • Sun, Jan 6 2013 3:14 PM

• Robert Finley
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 12 2010
    • Seattle, WA
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,015
    Re: Allegro changing/editing footprints in the board editor on the fly. ? can it be done Reply

When I had to use PADS against my will, layout ECO changes were cool until they vanish the next time the schemo is merged.

After changing the footprint on the fly, won't that change the part number on the BOM?

I understand that in really dense designs, a smaller footprint is needed.

Gate/pin swapping is a better approach to keep the schematic accurate across design spins. 

Silkscreen clipping needs to be done in CAM.  If it can be done in layout, great.  But, in Cam, silkscreen clips match future design changes.

• Sun, Jan 6 2013 3:56 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 193
    • Points 3,185
    Re: Allegro changing/editing footprints in the board editor on the fly. ? can it be done Reply

Hi Robert

In the old Layout tool if you had a footprint on the board you could click on a pin of that footprint or the silk etc and simply move it. You are not really changing the footprint but simply editing it as you would do if you were creating a footprint.

I  agree this can lead to problems if care is not used and typically I rarely used this feature in Layout but for some things it was handy if a pin just needed to be nudged one way or the other. Saved the time of re-creating the footprint.

Part of my reason for asking about this is in Capture I have a symbol for a coax cable. Now making the footprint for this is kind of difficult as the coax cable will be formed on the board in a sudo S circular way. What I would love to be able to do is have my coax symbol that has 4 pins in capture but on the layout side of things have those 4 pins as individual pads that can be moved but still retain the net info from the schematic.

It is kind of a mechanical issue, I am just trying to find the best way to represent that coax in a footprint. The hard part is if you create a footprint that has pins that are 4" apart you kind of got a issue as your footprint becomes huge. I think what I am after cant really be done from the perspective of a footprint but am certainly open to ideas

Thanks Scott

• Sun, Jan 6 2013 5:38 PM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 880
    • Points 13,550

As long as you are not changing the number of electrical pins then yes, there is a simple method: edit->properties

select the symbol on the board, check the property "Unfixed Pins", and apply

Now you can edit->move, find pins, and happily reposition the pins for that symbol.  Does not affect library.

• Tue, Jan 8 2013 5:51 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 193
    • Points 3,185

Hi Red

That works like a champ, thanks for the tip : )

Scott

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ScottCad at 05 Jan 2013 04:23 PM. Topic has 4 replies.