Home > Community > Forums > Mixed-Signal Design > How could I do PSS and Pnoise analysis by the AMS simulator in ADE?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How could I do PSS and Pnoise analysis by the AMS simulator in ADE? 

Last post Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:41 AM by Andrew Beckett. 5 replies.
Started by IEEE Chairman 04 Jan 2013 09:16 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 993 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:16 AM

How could I do PSS and Pnoise analysis by the AMS simulator in ADE? Reply

Dear all:

I want to plot the phase noise of my closed-loop PLL where there were digital blocks in verilog and analog blocks in transistor level. I used AMS as the simulator, but I colud not find the PSS and Pnoise options in AMS. How colud I plot the phase noise diagrams of such kinds of mixed signal systems?

Thanks for your help!

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:19 AM

How could I do PSS and Pnoise analysis by the AMS simulator in ADE? Reply

Dear all:

I want to plot the phase noise of my closed-loop PLL where there were digital blocks in verilog and analog blocks in transistor level. I used AMS as the simulator, but I colud not find the PSS and Pnoise options in AMS. How colud I plot the phase noise diagrams of such kinds of mixed signal systems?

Thanks for your help!

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:25 AM

Re: How could I do PSS and Pnoise analysis by the AMS simulator in ADE? Reply

You can't do this currently. It would be theoretically possible if anything handled in the digital engine remained static during the PSS - so you could use the AMS simulation to configure the design, and then you run the PSS/Pnoise on the analog portions of the circuit. If however you wanted the digital portions of the design to be active, the problem is then that the digital portions would be a "hidden state" for PSS - the PSS algorithms would not have visibility of the state of the digital nodes.

Commonly complex PLLs use sigma-delta modulators (i.e. a Fractional-N PLL rather than Integer) and are consequently not periodic - so that would be a further reason why you couldn't do this (even if the hidden state issue had been solved).

However, even the first option is not possible currently.

There has been some thought about this - but we really need a customer partner who we can work with to identify the precise requirements and how this would work. So I would suggest that you contact customer support and then we can file an enhancement request with R&D capturing your needs.

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:27 AM

Please do not double post (the forum guidelines tell you not to do this). I'll merge this post with your post in the mixed-signal forum.

Regards,

Andrew,

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:34 AM

Sorry @@"  Thanks for your fruitful reply.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:41 AM

No problem - hopefully we can enhance the simulator to meet your needs in the future!

Regards,

Andrew.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by IEEE Chairman at 04 Jan 2013 09:16 AM. Topic has 5 replies.