Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Silk Screen Visibility OrCAD PCB Designer 16.6

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Silk Screen Visibility OrCAD PCB Designer 16.6 

Last post Sun, Mar 17 2013 9:10 AM by mcatramb91. 15 replies.
Started by David Yackman 03 Jan 2013 10:48 AM. Topic has 15 replies and 2928 views
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 10:48 AM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 18 2012
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805
    Silk Screen Visibility OrCAD PCB Designer 16.6 Reply

I've opened up an existing brd file that I generated using OrCAD PCB Designer Professional v16.5.  It appears that all of my parameters remained intact, however, the colors, transparency and brightness of the individual elements look different.  Most of the differences aren't bad, they're just different.

The only problem I'm experiencing with this new color scheme is that my silk screen elements are almost completely invisible.  You can't really see them unless you place your cursor over the silk screen element that you would like to see.  I've even set the color of all of my silk screen elements to bright white in the Color192 screen and toyed with the transparency and shadow settings.  The only way I can see the silk screen items is to supress all of the other elements and just enable the silk screen stuff.  Even then, the color of the silk screen stuff is very muted and not very bright at all. 

Has anyone else seen this or have an idea how to make the silk screen more visible or brighter? 

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 11:03 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Re: Silk Screen Visibility OrCAD PCB Designer 16.6 Reply

Do you have the photoplot width set to something other then zero for the text size you are using?

Obvious questions.......... You have the silk layer for the ref des turned on and the color set to white or some other std color?

I have a board here that I started in 16.5 and finished in 16.6 and there were no issues with the silk viewing

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 11:13 AM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805

The photoplot width for all of the silk elements are at least 0.25mm wide, most items are wider.  When I roll my cursor over the silk screen items, they become visible.  If I turn off all other layers and leave the silk screen on, I can see it, but it's very dull.  It's weird.  I've never had this problem before, and this wasn't a problem last week when I completed the board using v16.5.  I'm sure it has to be something really simple, but I haven't stumbled across the solution just yet. 

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 1:13 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,054
    • Points 16,990

It's called Shadow Mode, Display - Color Visibility - Display folder, is shadow mode on ? If so turn it off. This is used during highlight of nets, shadow mode turns everything grey (or dimmed) apart from the highlighted net. There's an icon next to the color visibility one which you may have selected.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 5:28 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Steve,

What is shadow mode used for, or how would I use it to enhance my design experience?

Tom

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:08 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,054
    • Points 16,990

Tom

It's as I said before used to dim the rest of the board whilst looking at a highlighted net. It works quite well with cross probe. You can adjust the level of dim / brightness including dim the active layer from color visibility - display folder.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:27 AM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805

Yeah, shadow mode isn't it.  I can turn off shadow mode and everything is pretty bright, with the exception of the silk screen items.  I can turn shadow mode on and vary the brightness and transparency of items, but the silk screen items remain unaffected.  The only way I can see any of the silk screen is to roll my mouse over the item, then it becomes highlighted and visible.  But, just as soon as I move the mouse away from the item, it disappears.  I can turn off internal layers of the board which contain copper planes and then I can just faintly make out the silk screen items, but still, it is very dim and weak, even though the silk screen stuff is set to white, which should be highly visible.  All of the net names and via names are in white (which is kind of a cool feature in 16.6) and it's very visible, so I'm having trouble understanding why my silk screen stuff isn't.  Like I said, when I designed this board using v16.5, this wasn't an issue. 

I guess I'll send EMA-EDA an email and see why this is happening. If I get a solution from them, I'll post it here. Thanks guys.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:43 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    steve:

Tom

It's as I said before used to dim the rest of the board whilst looking at a highlighted net. It works quite well with cross probe. You can adjust the level of dim / brightness including dim the active layer from color visibility - display folder.

I'll have to give it a whirl.

Sort of like the "h" (highlight) and "." (high contrast) keyboard shortcuts in the pre 16.3 versions.

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:45 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    David Yackman:

I guess I'll send EMA-EDA an email and see why this is happening. If I get a solution from them, I'll post it here. Thanks guys.

Please do.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 7:12 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,054
    • Points 16,990

Just a thought - are you on the latest 16.6 hotfix ??

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 7:49 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Good point. I had some weird things going on until I updated.

• Fri, Jan 4 2013 7:56 AM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805
    I assume that I'm all up to date.  I'm currently running v16.6-S001.  The latest hotfix was included with the install. 
  • Mon, Jan 14 2013 1:41 PM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805

Just an update - I've designed three additional boards since I've reported this issue.  I haven't had the silk screen problem since.  All the new stuff I did looks just fine.  I guess something is wrong with the *.brd file on the board I designed in 16.5. 

• Mon, Jan 14 2013 2:33 PM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 82
    • Points 4,690

David,

The only other thing that could cause the silkscreen to be not as bright, or at a lower intensity, compared to everything else is that the Silkscreen was previously exported as a design partition and never re-imported into the master design.   Team Design (Design Partitioning) is not an available option with OrCAD PCB Designer 16.6 but maybe in 16.5 someone had access to an Allegro PCB Designer license w/Team Design option that may have enabled the export.

If this is the case you would not be able to move the silkscreen text around at all as it would be locked, or in read only mode, after the partition was exported.  Are you able to move the silkscreen text in OrCAD PCB Designer 16.6?

Maybe something in the database was set to make it think a partition was exported but in reality it was not exported.  You could try changing the environmental variable DISPLAY_READONLY_INTENSITY to 100 and see if the silkscreen items are displayed like normal. (Setup > User Preferences under the Display Category / Visual folder.)

Of course it is a long shot that this is the case but I had to bring it up.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone

• Sat, Mar 16 2013 5:22 PM

• RaylonS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 17 2013
    • Posts 12
    • Points 225
    This wouldn't affect only the silkscreen layer, but in the 'Color Dialog' dialog box, 'Display' folder, there are 2 slider settings under Open GL. One is Global, and the other is for shapes. Depending on how far to the left or right these are set to, certain objects may appear very translucent. I personally don't care for this as I come from the days when it wasn't an option and I cue in very much on colors and having 'pale' colors mixing with other colors kind of defeats the purpose of establishing colors, in my opinion. It might be something you want to check if you never solved this.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
Started by David Yackman at 03 Jan 2013 10:48 AM. Topic has 15 replies.