Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Keepouts

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Keepouts 

Last post Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:44 AM by TH Designs. 6 replies.
Started by TH Designs 24 Dec 2012 01:36 PM. Topic has 6 replies and 1072 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Dec 24 2012 1:36 PM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Keepouts Reply

I have a connector symbol that has two mounting holes. I want to have an area around the mounting holes where there can be no other components. On the bottom side there shall be no traces, but traces are allowed on the top side.

I have tried many different keepouts and the only errors I ever get are for vias or traces inside the keepout area. I can put a component in there and don't get any error.

I have tried:place outline, Route Keepout, Package keepout, all will allow me to place a part within the keepout area.

Suggestions?

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Dec 25 2012 10:36 AM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 875
    • Points 13,480
    Re: Keepouts Reply

Tom - your concept of the usage is correct.  I suspect you've already experimented with top/bottom/all with the placement/keepout boundaries?  If so, it sounds like the check has been disabled.

Go into Constraint Manager, click on Analyze, Analysis Modes, Design Modes (Package) and see if everything is on.

• Wed, Dec 26 2012 4:53 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    redwire:

Tom - your concept of the usage is correct.  I suspect you've already experimented with top/bottom/all with the placement/keepout boundaries?  If so, it sounds like the check has been disabled.

Go into Constraint Manager, click on Analyze, Analysis Modes, Design Modes (Package) and see if everything is on.

I checked the settings you suggested in CM and they are all on except the height one, which I'm not concened with. After spending over an hour trying to get this to work, I'm moving on. I'll use the soldermask around the hole as a visual indicator to me to keep things out of that area.

Thanks,

Tom

• Wed, Dec 26 2012 2:02 PM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 875
    • Points 13,480

IF you don't mind sending a PM with the files attached or zip them up and post them on the forum I would be glad to look at the issue.

• Thu, Dec 27 2012 4:58 PM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Thanks for the offer, but NDA in place with customer so can't send any board files.

Tom

• Fri, Dec 28 2012 6:58 AM

Are all the DRC's are turned on.

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:44 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Those options were not checked. When I checked them, some drc's came up around the part in question. I'll have to go back into the symbol editor and make some adjustments to the keep out areas. I know what I have on the board will work, I just need to understand what the drc's are telling me. I'm sure it has to do with something I did when making the symbol and trying to get it to have the keep outs I was looking for.

I won't get to it until later today.............

Thanks,

Tom

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by TH Designs at 24 Dec 2012 01:36 PM. Topic has 6 replies.