Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > OrCad CIS on mySQL server

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

OrCad CIS on mySQL server 

Last post Wed, Oct 30 2013 1:31 PM by oldmouldy. 6 replies.
Started by AxelLboro 30 Nov 2012 11:55 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 5241 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:55 AM

• AxelLboro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 30 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40
    OrCad CIS on mySQL server Reply

I am using OrCad CIS 16.5 and I would like to use my company server to host the CIS database. We are using mySQL. I have set up a database with the properties as described in the help and created a new odbm data source. However, if I want to create a new data source in OrCad CIS preferences it doesn't appear in the options. I was wondering if OrCAD accepts mySQL as data base? Does anyone have a document how to set up the database on mysql and integrate it into OrCad CIS?

Many thanks in advance.

• Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:14 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,408
    • Points 24,030
    Re: OrCad CIS on mySQL server Reply

You need to use the 32-bit ODBC drivers, if there is any alternative. The MySQL connector has versions for ODBC 3.51 and 5.x, you might want to try both of these to see which gives best results since these can vary a bit. On a 64-bit OS, use the odbcad32.exe to configure the Datasource in the Control Panel stage. Create a System DSN for the database, any other option won't work (properly or at all). Ensure that you have at least the 4 required CIS fields in the database table(s) Fundamentally, this will all work just fine.

(Basically, the CIS application connects to the ODBC datasource, that is the "universal" bit, what is "at the other end" of the ODBC connection is irrelevant since the ODBC driver maps between the "universal" bit that the application sees and the bit that is specific to the actual database, whatever that might be.)

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:09 AM

• AxelLboro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 30 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Thank you very much for your quick response. The problem was that I added the data source as user DNS and not in System DNS. I can select now my data source, when I set the database configuration.

However, if I press the next button, then I receive the error message "ERROR(ORCIS-6245): Database Operation Failed Please Check Session For More Details". I am not totally sure what this means. The user should have read and write access to the database.

Many thanks

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Oct 28 2013 10:25 AM

• stanzani
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 6
    • Points 235

hello all

I am struggling to make the CIS communicating with and SQL server running on a Linux OS. I am pretty unexperienced with all of this .NET, Microsoft SQL server etc. but still the instalaltion manual cannot help me :( (I mean Component Information Portal™ (CIP) Installation Guide Version 4.3  ).

First I cannot figure out vey well the architecture (Fig. 1). I see a file server, a web server and a CIP-E/CIS database (SQL)

Since I want to make a number of designers sharing the component DB I am thinking that the  CIP-E/CIS database (SQL) is a machine (Linux in my case) running an SQL server (my SQL, I'd like). or may be it is the FIle Server?

@AXelBoro: where is the help file showing / describing how to create teh database?

the whole thing is so confusing and I cannot find too much help in the docs (maybe they are written for experienced system adiministrator which I am not)

plz help: possibly address some guide to do this

• Tue, Oct 29 2013 5:57 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,408
    • Points 24,030

Capture CIS uses a technology called ODBC to work with "any" database that supports an ODBC driver.

CIP is specifically design to use Microsoft technologies, Internet Information Services and SQL Server, these technologies are NOT available to Linux platforms, you must use a Windows platform to be able to install and use the CIP. See the Minimum Requirements for Installing CIP on page 8 of the Installation Guide you mentioned.

• Wed, Oct 30 2013 1:54 AM

• stanzani
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 6
    • Points 235

... AxelBoro is using mySQL which is NOT a Microsoft technology. Also the sales reprentative told us that a mySQL platform could have been used for this. Installing ODBC driver for Red Hat should make the connection unaware of the database engine (mySQL, Oracle, Access etc.) underneath

ODBC drivers are available for Linux http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36437 i.e. supposedly the system can communciate with a Linux based database server 

BTW I opened a ticket with tech support

thanks 

• Wed, Oct 30 2013 1:31 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,408
    • Points 24,030

There seems to be some confusion on your part, let's see if I can get you some clarification. OrCAD Capture CIS runs on Windows, you might be able to get some virtual hosting to persuade your Linux machine to run it but OrCAD Capture CIS is built for a Windows runtime environment. OrCAD Capture CIS connects to a database for schematic part properties using an ODBC driver, for Windows. ODBC drivers are available to connect to a number of databases which may, or may not, be hosted on a Windows machine. The ODBC drivers that you mention are to make an ODBC connction between a Red Hat Linux machine and a Microsft SQL Server, hosted on a Windows machine, to provide SQL Server based databases available to Red Hat Linux applications. Also, the CIP that you mentioned requires Windows hosted technologies to work, it does not use "any" database, or "any" web server, it specifically requires Microsoft IIS and Microsoft SQL Server technologies to run.

You CAN connect Capture CIS running in a Windows environment to a database, like MySQL, hosted on Linux, or any MySQL supported OS, through a MySQL ODBC driver running on Windows - this also applies to other databases that support and provide ODBC and is what your sale rep was telling you BUT this is NOT applicable to CIP.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by AxelLboro at 30 Nov 2012 11:55 AM. Topic has 6 replies.