Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Cross section of .brd for import to Ansys / Percentage of Copper per layer

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Cross section of .brd for import to Ansys / Percentage of Copper per layer 

Last post Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:25 AM by CCR77. 2 replies.
Started by CCR77 30 Nov 2012 09:04 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 824 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:04 AM

• CCR77
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 29 2013
    • Redmond, WA
    • Posts 0
    • Points 690
    Cross section of .brd for import to Ansys / Percentage of Copper per layer Reply

Hello,

I have been asked to provide a cross section / cutt-out of a .brd to send to Reliability Engineering for import into Ansys for Thermal Analysis.  Is there a way to cutt away unwanted sections of the design quickly?  The area of interest is under the package of a large BGA. 

I am also interested in percentage of copper on each layer under this package.  I have ran a film area report, however the reported numbers are not in allignment with my manual calculations used for verifying the reports accuracy. Any ideas? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clint

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:04 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Re: Cross section of .brd for import to Ansys / Percentage of Copper per layer Reply

Clint,

If you just want a section of the board, then wholesale use of "delete" to get rid of the stuff around the area you want is in order. For planes you can edit the shape boundry to make it cover the area in question.

Can you export the layers via DXF to ACAD or some other package where you can trim away the unwanted areas and then specify the remaining as copper and get your area data from that?

Hope this helps.

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:25 AM

• CCR77
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 29 2013
    • Redmond, WA
    • Posts 0
    • Points 690
    Re: Cross section of .brd for import to Ansys / Percentage of Copper per layer Reply

Hi Tom,

I was able to manually go through and delete all but the required area, however it was time consuming.  I was hoping there was a way to delete all objects / elements outside a given rectangle or polygon with a few clicks.  Or possible copy sections of interest and export them as sub-drawings into another .brd

Altium supports a select all outside of rectangle or inside or rectangle function which would work perfect for this and I was hoping the Allegro had a similiar function. Maybe it does I just dont know how to use it.

Thanks,

Clint

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by CCR77 at 30 Nov 2012 09:04 AM. Topic has 2 replies.