Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Placing or move by coordinates

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Placing or move by coordinates 

Last post Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:33 AM by TH Designs. 9 replies.
Started by TH Designs 29 Nov 2012 07:05 AM. Topic has 9 replies and 1327 views
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:05 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Placing or move by coordinates Reply

Scenerio:

Part placed on board, decide to move it to a different location that I know the coordinates of. How??

Same thing when placing a part for the first time, how can I place by coordinates? We did this in training class, but I can not get it to work for the life of me.

Is there a spreadsheet or table where I can look up the part and enter the coordinates?

I have my first board done using 16.5 and I'm just going back over the areas I had issues with or need a better understanding of to make my time spent on the next board more efficient.

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:29 AM

• budnoel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 12 2008
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 129
    • Points 2,100
    Re: Placing or move by coordinates Reply

If you choose Move - RMB - Options - Rotation Point you can choose where the component will be moved FROM.  After you select the component you wish to move you can simply type in the Command line the x,y coordinates of where you would like to place the component.  The syntax is x n.nn y n.nn   or you can simply type x n.nn n.nn    To get a list of all the coordinates of where the components are placed you can choose File - Export - Placement.  You will get options of what origin you would like to have reported.  Also, you can choose where you want the ASCII text placement file created using the Browse button.  An additional point about moving components - You can move a component incrementally by typing ix n.nn to move a component incrementally in the x direction and iy n.nn for the y direction. ix n.nn n.nn  will move it in both directions.  Hope this helps.

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:22 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Thanks for the reply.

I brought this one on myself. I assigned some keys to perform certain functions in the "env" file. I had set "i" for zoom in and "x" for swap ends when routing. Since both of these keys are used for moving by coordinates, they didn't work. I commented them out of the env file and now I can move by coordinates. (But I can't zoom in using "I" or swap ends using "x".......... Need to assign some other keys to perform those functions now)

Tom

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:49 AM

• Roger BFS
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 4 2011
    • Morrison, CO
    • Posts 67
    • Points 965

Tom,

I realize its more typing, but you can also use the "pick xx yy" command line to avoid conflict with your funckey assignments.

Roger

Roger Green - B F Systems, LLC
    • Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:27 AM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 173
    • Points 2,685

Tom, are you using a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel at that end ?, Was curious because I also had assigned the zoom in and out functions to the I & O keys but those keys I rarely uses anymore because the mouse scrool wheel handles zoom in / Out and also Pan if I
    de- press the mouse wheel.

Thanks Scott 

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:41 AM

• budnoel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 12 2008
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 129
    • Points 2,100

Hello all. I've been using a 3-button mouse (without the scrool wheel) for about 12 years and I love it.  By depressing the the middle button and moving in a diagonal from lower right to upper left (or vice versa) I'm able to zoom in or out in Editor.  I don't really like the scroll wheel because it tends to roll when I simply want to depress it.  I realize a lot of this is personal preference but I thought I would share mine anyway.  The other thing I wanted to mention to Tom was that if by "switching ends" when routing he means the "toggle" function I assigned that to the "t" hot key and I find it works great. Thanks for allowing me to input.

• Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:09 AM

• DonlAZ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 28 2012
    • Chandler, AZ
    • Posts 34
    • Points 485

I tried this method and get a command not found when I type in x500 y500 in the command line.

I'm a long time 18 year Pads user and it was open a dialog bog and could place by coordinates, rotation, side and many things from this box, wish there was something similar for Allegro.

• Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:23 AM

• DawnC
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 27 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 655

Try:  x 500 500

(x is lowercase)

• Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:31 AM

• DonlAZ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 28 2012
    • Chandler, AZ
    • Posts 34
    • Points 485
    Thanks Dawn, I found that I didn't include a space between the x and the value. It still seems archaic that I can't see all of my info for a particular part and edit them in one place, oh well shrugs and keeps trying to understand the nuances with this tool..
  • Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:33 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

ScottCad:

Tom, are you using a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel at that end ?, Was curious because I also had assigned the zoom in and out functions to the I & O keys but those keys I rarely uses anymore because the mouse scrool wheel handles zoom in / Out and also Pan if I
    de- press the mouse wheel.

Thanks Scott 

I lost track of this thread and didn't see all of the good suggestions concerning the use of the center wheel for panning and zooming.

Thanks for the inputs everyone, very helpful.

Tom

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by TH Designs at 29 Nov 2012 07:05 AM. Topic has 9 replies.