Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > What is the USE of No of Harmonics/maxacfrequency if one does simulation for IIP3/P1dB

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

What is the USE of No of Harmonics/maxacfrequency if one does simulation for IIP3/P1dB 

Last post Wed, Dec 19 2012 9:04 AM by Tawna. 5 replies.
Started by RFQuery 21 Nov 2012 09:17 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1901 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Nov 21 2012 9:17 AM

• RFQuery
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,250
    What is the USE of No of Harmonics/maxacfrequency if one does simulation for IIP3/P1dB Reply

Dear All,

Can anybody please tell "What is the USE of No of Harmonics/maxacfrequency if one does simulation for IIP3/P1dB" in PSS analysis.
    • Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Nov 21 2012 9:31 AM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 10 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 190
    • Points 5,135
    RE: What is the USE of No of Harmonics/maxacfreq if one does simulation for IIP3/P1dB Reply
    Hi RFQuery,

You didn’t mention if you were using the Harmonic Balance or the Shooting Newton engine.

You may want to look at:

Cadence Online Support Solution  (11784002) Which is better:  Setting pss harmonics or maxacfreq to obtain good pnoise accuracy?  

The same concept applies to small signal analyses such as IIP3.  This is geared towards Shooting Newton.

I also recommend looking at the blog posting:   Guidelines for Maximizing Speed vs Accuracy for Harmonic Balance - Part 2

This is geared towards Harmonic Balance.

Best regards,

Tawna
    Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
    • Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Nov 21 2012 9:37 AM

Re: What is the USE of No of Harmonics/maxacfrequency if one does simulation for IIP3/P1dB Reply

See this previous thread from the last time you asked a very similar question.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Dec 18 2012 9:13 PM

• RFQuery
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,250
    Re: What is the USE of No of Harmonics/maxacfrequency if one does simulation for IIP3/P1dB Reply

Dear Andrew,

Thanks a lot for pointing me my last query-post.

However I actually posted this after going through the post http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1170976620/15 .

It seems that by increasing the No. of Harmonic in PSS improves the IIP2 or IIP3 values ( if they are really high. i.e. the IM2/3 components are very very small)

Kind regards,

• Wed, Dec 19 2012 12:12 AM

As Tawna said, you didn't mention whether you are using harmonic balance or shooting. With harmonic balance, if you don't have enough harmonics to represent the harmonic content of the signals, the energy from the missing harmonics can leak into the harmonics you've chosen, compromising the accuracy. With shooting that doesn't happen because it is simulated in the time domain, but it tends not to be so good at simulating circuits with extremely high dynamic range (such as IIP2/IIP3 simulations where the input power was low).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Dec 19 2012 9:04 AM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 10 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 190
    • Points 5,135
    RE: What is the USE of No of Harmonics/maxacfrequency if one does simulation for IIP3/P1dB Reply
    Also, RFQuery, I am pointing you to solutions on Cadence Online Support so you can learn and gain understanding

rather than me just providing an answer.   (Teaching you to fish, rather than just giving you fish.  J  )

Best regards,

Tawna
    Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by RFQuery at 21 Nov 2012 09:17 AM. Topic has 5 replies.